Anyone Use Light Therapy For Sad?

Lounge By Callyssa Updated 19 Dec 2008 , 10:26pm by GI

Callyssa Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 7

I'm 100% certain I suffer from this. I've been thinking about getting a light for a couple of years now, and this year I will, before it gets too bad. I've been doing a lot of research and think I've narrowed it down to an Apollo Health light, but there are two models I'm debating over; the golite BLU, and the briteLITE 6. Does anyone have either of these, or really, any light therapy light, and what are your impressions?

6 replies
Monkess Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:52am
post #2 of 7

I have heard that light theraphy does wonders..good luck with your solution! Also try getting the energy in your house cleaned out by tyding up and or installing a small water fountain. small things but they help immensely.

Callyssa Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 7

Ha! That's so ironic! We just got a tabletop fountain on clearance the day after Thanksgiving; my little ones are "giving" it to me for Christmas, so they don't know I'm the one who found it! I'm anxious to be able to use it!

dldbrou Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 7

My son just sent the following information to me for my MIL and I thought I would pass it on to you.

Original Article:
Light therapy

Light therapy is a way to treat seasonal affective disorder, depression and certain other conditions by exposure to bright artificial light. During light therapy, you sit or work near a device called a light therapy box. The light therapy box gives off bright light that mimics natural outdoor light.

Exposure to bright light from a light therapy box is thought to alter your circadian rhythms and suppress your body's natural release of melatonin. Together, these cause biochemical changes in your brain that help reduce or control symptoms of seasonal affective disorder and other conditions. Light therapy is also known as bright light therapy or phototherapy.

Why it's done

Light therapy is one of the many ways to treat a variety of mental disorders and conditions affected by time changes or shift changes, especially seasonal affective disorder. The light box used in light therapy emits a type and intensity of light that isn't found in normal household lighting. So simply sitting in front of a lamp in your living room is unlikely to relieve your seasonal affective disorder symptoms or other problems.

Similarly, a light box delivers brighter, more focused light than you can find outdoors, which makes it more effective than trying to get enough light exposure by spending time outside especially on gloomy days.

When to consider light therapy
Light therapy may be a treatment option for you if:

You don't want to take medications such as antidepressants
You can't tolerate the side effects of antidepressants
You've tried antidepressants but they haven't been effective
You want an alternative to psychotherapy
You're pregnant or breast-feeding and are concerned about the effects of antidepressants on your developing fetus or baby
You don't have insurance coverage for mental health services
You lack access to mental health services
Conditions light therapy may help
Conditions and problems that may benefit from light therapy include:

Seasonal affective disorder
Nonseasonal types of depression
Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
Postpartum depression
Jet lag
Certain sleep disorders
Shift-work problems
Keep in mind that light therapy hasn't officially been approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a treatment for seasonal affective disorder or other conditions. But many mental health providers consider light therapy the main seasonal affective disorder treatment.

Risks and side effects associated with light therapy are uncommon but can happen. They can include:

Dry mouth
Sleep problems
When side effects do occur, they're usually mild. They may go away on their own within a few days of starting light therapy. You also may be able to manage these problems by reducing treatment time, moving farther from your light box, taking breaks during long sessions, or changing the time of day you use light therapy. Talk to your doctor for additional help and advice, or if your side effects don't go away or get worse.

Who shouldn't use light therapy
Some light boxes don't filter out or shield harmful ultraviolet (UV) light. UV light can cause skin and eye damage. Don't use light therapy without consulting your doctor first if:

Your skin is sensitive to light
You take medications that react with sunlight, such as certain antibiotics or anti-inflammatories
You have an eye condition that makes your eyes vulnerable to light damage
Cautions for bipolar disorder, severe depression
Light therapy may trigger episodes of mania in people with bipolar disorder. Also, although rare, some people, particularly those with severe forms of depression, develop thoughts of suicide after light therapy. Be sure to talk to your doctor or mental health provider before starting light therapy or at any time during treatment if your condition gets worse.

How you prepare

You don't need any special preparation to have light therapy. Before starting light therapy, however, check with your doctor and mental health provider to make sure it's a good option for you.

Your doctor or mental health provider also can help you choose an appropriate light therapy box. Internet retailers, drugstores and even some hardware stores offer a wide variety of light therapy boxes and other light devices for seasonal affective disorder treatment. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the variety of features and options to help ensure that you buy a light therapy box that's safe and effective for you.

Callyssa Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 7

I've read that same article, thank you for posting it! I get worse and worse as the winter wears on, but on the rare occasion we get a sunny winter day I'm like a mad woman cleaning, organizing, planning, everything! Then the sun goes behind a cloud or it becomes typically gray again and all I want to do is curl up under a rock and sleep. It even affects my body temp. There have been times it's gotten down to 96 and I have to sit in a steaming bath just to warm up, as by that time blankets just won't do it. And I feel like I'm in perpetual PMS......sooooo not good with a household of seven. I really hope this works as good as all the hype.......

Monkess Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 7

ohhh...sounds like me some bp gets supper low too...I know that feeling and especially in feb by when the winter seems to have been around for 6 months! Hang in there..I am sure the fountain and light therapy will help you immesely. Try lighting up candles-they cheer me up as well as adding a warmth, something I wont enjoy in the summer. God bless.

GI Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 7

We have a lot of dark, grey, dreary days here, too. We can go for 3 weeks before having maybe a two-hour partly sunny day. I try to get outside as much as I can if even bundled up head-to-toe. Sometimes shoveling snow gives me enough energy! I always have a head-set on, listening to music while I'm doing it.

I looked into light therapy, too, but gosh it is so expensive.

Callyssa please share your experience with us if you don't mind. Let us know how it all goes. Perhaps I'll rethink my own situation. (PM me if you wish.)

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

(I have always wished to live on a nice sunny warm area, CA, HI, FL, um...the Bahamas, Cancun, anyone wish to join? icon_wink.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%