8 Easy Steps To A Lower Priced Wedding Cake...lol!

Business By __Jamie__ Updated 27 Dec 2008 , 11:04pm by leah_s

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 26

Maybe you all have seen this before, but as I gain more knowledge from this site, I am able to understand the BS when I see it. There are some pretty laughable suggestions in this article. Even my hubby thought they were funny. icon_twisted.gif

http://www.wikihow.com/Lower-Wedding-Cake-Price

25 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 26

That is a hot mess.

The way these "tips" are worded sort of sounds like someone with absolutely no clue was told to "Write an article on cheap wedding cakes, have it on my desk in ten minutes". icon_lol.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 26

BIG BOX STORES?...This article is such a joke! Since when do box stores sell cakes? I pity the bride that follows these guidelines.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 26

Some of these tips are not terrible. I live in a low income area, so I try to find ways to help folks out that doesn't fry me. I often make the suggestion of ordering "back up" sheet cakes instead of adding another layer to the wedding cake. There is not an RSVP culture here for wedding receptions, and many young couples print their wedding announcement in the church bulletin, so they often have no idea how many will show up. Another thing I do that helps is I have one of those glass gizmos from Wilton that holds three cakes. I let brides use that (with a deposit) and it looks pretty nice and saves them the expense of stacking, tiers and delivery charge since they can do it themselves.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 26

A big box store is a retail term for large chain stores like Best buy and Home Depot.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 26

I googled "big box store"and got this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstores

It states that in addition to specialty stores like Best Buy and Home Depot, there are general merchandise stores like WalMart (and by extension Sam's) and Target.

I know that both WalMart and Sam's will make wedding cakes...not sure about Target, at least not in my area.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 26

"It is not necessary to have a five-tiered cake. You can have your cake stacked if you want."

Maybe I'm not understanding what they're saying here, but a 5 tier cake, stacked, pillared, or set out on a 5-arm cake stand is ALL a 5-tier cake. I don't charge cheaper for "stacking". As a matter of fact, I consider a stacked cake more work than a pillared cake.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 26

I'm with you indydebi. When I stack a cake I stand there forever it seems holding my breath & praying I can do it w/out getting it off center or screwing up the cake below. I'm wandering why they didn't tell them, order a 14", 11" & an 8" round from your local supermarket; mix up some icing put it in bags & pipe it on yourself. I mean how hard can it be, right? I must say I look at Walmart cakes everytime & go in & they get worse over time. Last one I saw you could see the cake through the icing & it was almost lumpy looking, but I think they pipe on those ginormous borders to distract the buyers. Oh, & the best is when people think you can do it in a day or two notice---my dh told me to tell them "sorry, but until I can crap cakes it won't be happening". I would love to, but afraid I might get some lovely reactions. People that don't make things themselves don't realize how much time is in it.

cakelady15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady15 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 11:43am
post #9 of 26

At least they put a note at the bottom of the article that getting carboard icon_confused.gif (I'm assuming they meant styrofoam) isn't always cheaper because the biggest cost is decorating. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:21pm
post #10 of 26

Ah, guess that is an east coast term...LOL never heard that used before to refer to a department store, Walmart or Sam's, Learn something new everyday icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 1:53pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Ah, guess that is an east coast term...

Nope .... well used here in the midwest, too! icon_biggrin.gif

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 26

Tip #3
"Home bakers do not charge much and could make very lovely cakes" ?!!!!

I object!!! icon_surprised.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:44pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasross

Tip #3
"Home bakers do not charge much and could make very lovely cakes" ?!!!!

I object!!! icon_surprised.gif

Me too.. not that they can't make lovely cakes.. just the price part. icon_confused.gif I'm a (licensed) home baker and NO WAY am I cheap. icon_wink.gif

What about the venues that don't allow a cake in unless it comes from a licensed establishment?? That poor bride would be screwed.

I hate blurbs like this.. there is very little actual fact in there. icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:29pm
post #14 of 26

Hey guys!

Did you know that anyone can edit these types of artices?

icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:44pm
post #15 of 26

okay.....................what about the sheetcakes?? I sell sheetcakes all the time with wedding cakes and I always torte and fill them exactlly the same as the main cake, nobody has EVER been able to tell which cake their slice came from!
I mean, I understand if you just order a regular sheetcake, but when people order a "kitchen" cake.......meaning they want more servings but can't afford my tiered serving cost......I make them a sheet cake, double layered, torted and all. Doesn't everyone do that for a kitchen cake?? I always thought that was the whole idea was that nobody would know the difference!

leah_s Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 7:57pm
post #16 of 26

Ah, yes, K but as you said you're offering a kitchen cake. That's different from a sheet cake.

There are layer cakes, sheet cakes and kitchen cakes. I don't do sheet cakes but I do offer Kitchen Cakes.

You should edit and tell people to ask for kitchen cakes and explain what they are.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:58pm
post #17 of 26

well, I don't charge any differently for them though......so I just call it a double layered sheetcake and I just charge double my normal sheetcake cost! I know I should probably charge more because I am torting a sheetcake.....but I don't!

leah_s Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:18am
post #18 of 26

The point is, when you torte a sheet cake, essentially it becomes something new - a kitchen cake!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #19 of 26

someone must've edited it...I don't see a lot of things that are mentioned in earlier posts...it doesn't seem all that bad advice..well, at least what I read.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 8:42pm
post #20 of 26

Oooh.. I like editing other people's garbage.. and it looks like others do too. icon_wink.gif

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 9:18pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Ah, guess that is an east coast term...LOL never heard that used before to refer to a department store, Walmart or Sam's, Learn something new everyday icon_wink.gif

I'm on the west coast and have heard that. May just have to do with the stores that are in your area.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 9:39pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Quote:

Consider borrowing the pillars. There are disposable pillars available with your local baker or rental companies which are a better alternative than those crystal pillars if you want to cut down on the cost of the pillars. Let the baker or your local rental company help you with the disposable pillars instead of the crystal ones.

What??? The "crystal" pillars I've seen are plastic. This bit of advice doesn't even begin to make sense to me. Silver bases yes. crystal pillars no.

leah_s Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:31pm
post #23 of 26

Wow. That's been heavily edited even since I edited it. And I recognize the editor's language and phrasing. But it's a much better article now.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:38pm
post #24 of 26

Holy cow....that is a completely different article now. It's much, much better and covered many of the points we made. I am assuming someone contacted them since the first one was written rather poorly and this one is succinct and seems to cover the pro's and the cons.

indydebi Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 10:51pm
post #25 of 26

wow, that IS a changed article! One of the very few that actually has some common sense in it now! Good job, gang! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 11:04pm
post #26 of 26

Nah, you don't have to contact anyone. You just pull up the article, click on the edit button and have at it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%