So Many Cookie Questions...

Baking By DsLady614 Updated 20 Dec 2008 , 10:49am by DsLady614

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:38am
post #1 of 18

Well, I've made a couple batches of cookies lately, the first I've done in YEARS. Actually, I'm not sure I've ever really done sugar cookies to this level. So as I'm looking through the gallery, I see the most beautiful cookies that just put my attempts to shame. Yes, I know, practice. I'm game for that, but it raises questions.

Glace v. RI

1. I used a simple glace recipe on my cookies. I didn't outline then fill I actually did the whole base as one. Needs to be slightly thicker, but I like the look. However, do I really need to be using a thicker RI to do the very complicated designs? Glace seems to just all run together so quickly. Or can I outline with one coloe glace, let it dry the flood with another color?

2. Does RI taste as good as glace? I really like this recipe I am using.

3. Can I do a base with glace and then decorate with RI on top? Seems like RI will hold a shape better if I want to decorate with something other than a plain round tip.

Thanks for the input! There are some truly talented cookie makers here!

17 replies
Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:04am
post #2 of 18

1. You didn't say if you were using Toba's glace. The recipe on this site is for her flood consistency. You will need to add more PS to thicken it up fro outlining and detail work. Kneadacookie and bakinccc use this icing and they do amazing work. You can outline with RI, too if you like.

2. It really is a matter of preference. Some people love to use RI as a base. Antonia74 is a very popular recipe. You will need to add flavoring to this recipe. Her brand of meringue powder has flavor in it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

3. Yes. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 18

Everything you ever wanted to know about decorated cookies (cookie bouquets):
(Has recipes for cookies and frosting/glazes with comparisons - and so much more.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-230831-.html

HTH

DsLady614 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks JanH... I've read so many of these posts. There is just so much out there.

I guess what I'm looking for are thoughts, opinions.

I was going to try Antonias RI last night and then decided against it.

I'm not using Toba's glace. I can't recall who's recipe it is, but it's much more simple than Toba's. I suspect my error is in not getting it thick enough. That will be the key to doing real detail work. In the end, I guess we all have our own style. I just keep thinking, gosh, I want to make cookies like someone else. Its not that I can't with my glace... I just need to get it thicker and keep trying I suspect.

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 18

Honeydukes - no big deal for the mistake but I actually use a royal icing recipe for all my cookies. I've never even tried Toba's Glace. I know there's a lot of royal recipes out there...I think mine is similar to Antonia74's icing. If you want the detail you just need to get the consistency right. When I mix my icing I pay very close attention to how quickly it drips off my mixing spoon. If a spoonful of it all sticks to the spoon then it's too thick. If it drops off quickly...too thin. Just experiment with a batch of icing and within no time you'll get it right. Good luck!

DsLady614 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:49am
post #6 of 18

bakinccc... I'm guessing that would work the same with glace as with royal in the end. My frustration came from wanting to do a star tip design the other day and it just melted. BUT... I think it just wasn't thick enough. Am I on the right track? My concern was that I couldn't get glace thick enough, but now that I think about it, that doesn't make sense either, scientifically.

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:34am
post #7 of 18

I don't know about the glace, but I do know that if your star tip or flower designs melt with royal icing it's because it's too thin. I'd assume it would be the same for glace. Someday I'll have to break out of my mold and try glace. icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 4:55am
post #8 of 18

Glace is too thin to pipe stars. Even if you thicken the glace with ps the stars will not become distinct. Glace is best for flooding and outline, RI for details.

When I'm too lazy to make a batch of RI, I sometimes use a very thick glace to pipe "larger" details such as plaid, scallops, simple snowflake patterns, gingerbread people details. You have to make it really thick and you'll need lots of pressure to pipe it out. It puts huge strain on the wrists and hand. The smallest tip I've used with this is a 2. Any smaller and it's impossible to squeeze out. It comes out looking diffuse, not crisp and clean like RI. For very fine details, you will get the best results with RI.

DsLady614 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:01am
post #9 of 18

Hmmm.... thanks for that input, CasualKitchen! I was wondering if that weren't the case. I will agree though, that stiff glace is tough to work with. I thought my arm was going to fall off doing the snowflakes I have in my gallery. I guess if I ever find a design I need depth on, I'll just whip up some royal as well. I just really like the flavor of the glace I use, so I'm hoping I can continue using that as my main icing.

Honeydukes Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:58am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinccc

Honeydukes - no big deal for the mistake but I actually use a royal icing recipe for all my cookies. ...

My mistake; sorry about that.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 11:50am
post #11 of 18

I have gotten lazy over the past couple of years - I use marshmallow fondant as a base on my cookies, and royal icing as the detail (Antonia's). Makes the decorating go alot faster for me; the downside is it only is good for things like snowmen or snowflakes, that have a large basic background. Being I have 12 dozen cookies ordered this year, there won't be too many complicated designs that I can't use a fondant base for.

deb

DsLady614 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 9:54pm
post #12 of 18

Ok... I put the first layer on some cookies last night and I think I have an onbservation worth noting. The recipe for glace that I've been using is VERY simple. Sugar, milk, corn syrup, flavoring. That's it. I'm starting believe that, because it is so simple, it's not really workable for detail work. I got it quite thick, counting to see when the drizzle was gone, etc. And yet when I put it on the cookie, it still just melted into itself. Distinct corners rounded out and it actually sank into itself in a couple places. My only conclusion at the moment is, I need to try something else.

Is Antonia74's RI a little more capable keeping its shape? And, when you're making a cookie with some detail, is it wiser to outline first, THEN fill later? For example... I want to make an ornament cookie that has white "icicles" on top, and a dark color on the bottom. I did the dark color first. Should I have maybe, instead, outlined that part with very thick icing, let that dry then fill rather than all at once?

UGH... sorry... I'm rambling! The powdered sugar industry will survive this season on me alone, trying thing after thing!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:16pm
post #13 of 18

I'll kick in a little here, I also notice lots of 'hollow' dots and writing with TG, that I don't tend to get with RI. Which means, when they dry they go hollow or sink some. If I were more organized, I'd flood with TG, and detail with RI. Maybe one day!

DsLady614 Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 10:38pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks Shiney... maybe another reason why RI is the way to go huh?

Honeydukes Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 12:43pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar_pilot

... I got it quite thick, counting to see when the drizzle was gone, etc. And yet when I put it on the cookie, it still just melted into itself. Distinct corners rounded out and it actually sank into itself in a couple places. My only conclusion at the moment is, I need to try something else.

Is Antonia74's RI a little more capable keeping its shape? And, when you're making a cookie with some detail, is it wiser to outline first, THEN fill later? For example... I want to make an ornament cookie that has white "icicles" on top, and a dark color on the bottom. I did the dark color first. Should I have maybe, instead, outlined that part with very thick icing, let that dry then fill rather than all at once?

It is possible to decorate with glace. Kneadacookie does, check her gallery:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-kneadacookie.html

If you want "stand up" leaves or flowers, RI is the way to go. RI has meringue powder or egg whites that make it stiffen and hold its shape. You can flood and do dimensional work with it.

You can cover with glace and do detail work with RI -- such as you describe with the ornament. You can also outline the dark portion and fill and then do the same with the lighter part. It just depends on what effects you're looking for and what you want your end results to be. Some would rather not make two kinds of icing and color/ match it all. If you make one or the other you only color once and thin once.

Take some time to look through the gallery. Most people have posted what icing/s they used. Decide which "look" you like best.

DsLady614 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 18

Honeydukes... Thank you so much for clueing me in to Kneadacookie! WOW!! That is amazing work. I think I just need to experiment with different types of icing until I find one that does what I want it to do. Maybe it's a matter of letting the base be softer and using a second "layer" to highlight.

Thanks again! I really appreciate the input that people offer here! I'm becoming a cookie addict!

Honeydukes Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:37am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstar_pilot

... I'm becoming a cookie addict!

You are now one of us and you are helpless to fight it!! BUAHAHAHAHA!!!!! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

DsLady614 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 10:49am
post #18 of 18

I suspect you're right! I've already started eyeballing the selection of cookie cutters on my favorite website. My husband is looking at me funny and threatening to have me locked up, and I panicked yesterday when the store was out of powdered sugar!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%