Oh My God, Did Anyone Else See This?

Business By costumeczar Updated 30 Oct 2013 , 8:02pm by OCakes

costumeczar Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:34am
post #1 of 24

Can you believe this? What person in their right mind would name their child "Adolf Hitler" then expect people to not say anything about it? Poor kid... I wouldn't do the cake, either! Sorry for the kid, but hey...Get the names of thier other kids, too. Then they say "I'm not racist..." icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

[i]EASTON, Pa. The father of 3-year-old Adolf Hitler Campbell, denied a birthday cake with the child's full name on it by one New Jersey supermarket, is asking for a little tolerance. Heath Campbell and his wife, Deborah, are upset not only with the decision made by the Greenwich ShopRite, but with an outpouring of angry Internet postings in response to a local newspaper article over the weekend on their flare-up over frosting.

"I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past," Heath Campbell said Tuesday in an interview conducted in Easton, on the other side of the Delaware River from where the family lives in Hunterdon County, N.J.

"There's a new president and he says it's time for a change; well, then it's time for a change," the 35-year-old continued. "They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did."

Deborah Campbell, 25, said she phoned in her order last week to the ShopRite. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

Karen Meleta, a spokeswoman for ShopRite, said the Campbells had similar requests denied at the same store the last two years and said Heath Campbell previously had asked for a swastika to be included in the decoration.

"We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate," Meleta said. "We considered this inappropriate."

The Campbells ultimately got their cake decorated at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said. About 12 people attended the birthday party on Sunday, including several children who were of mixed race, according to Heath Campbell.

"If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?" he asked.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Campbell said his ancestors are German and that he has lived his entire life in Hunterdon County. On Tuesday he wore a pair of black boots he said were worn by a German soldier during World War II.

He said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."[/i]

23 replies
costumeczar Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 24

I just saw there's a loooong thread on the general forum about this already. Not surprised...

sari66 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:46am
post #3 of 24

Interesting

summernoelle Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:48am
post #4 of 24

Yeah, there was a thread yesterday on it. And it was on Cakewrecks...

lainalee Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:51am
post #5 of 24

WHy would someone do this to an inocent child?

sweettoothmom Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 24

Another example of parents putting thier own selfish wants before thier childs.
Like someone who's last name is Balls naming thier son Harry etc..... It is child abuse.

Marysmom Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 12:13am
post #7 of 24

I think they are big fat liars! They have another daughter and her name is JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell. Come on...Aryan Nation?!? Just happen to really like that name. And what does the Aryan Nation group stand for. Huh? These people are pigs and degenerates!

alvarezmom Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 24

I saw this too last night! I thought the same thing...Okay if your not racist then why would you name your child names that are tied with SO much hate? I dont know what their thinking really is/was, but the children will have allot of teasing done in school.

KKC Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:05am
post #9 of 24

A while back there was this story i read on Yahoo news about kids going to court to legally change there names. It was on girl i think she was about 12 and her parents named her....... "Talula Does The Hula". There was another kid named "Violence". The judge said that some of the names were ok as long as they weren't threatening or offensive. What on earth are these people thinking? I honestly hate my name and although it is unusual I know alot of people with this name. I hate it when I have to spell my name out for someone. It always goes like this S-as in Sam..H...A...K..I...V-as in Victor...I...A. SHAKIVIA. My name was suppose to be Tiffany but my mom let some idiots talk her into naming me this so i'm stuck. I swore that when I had kids I would never name them something that they would have to spell out for people. I think that these parents are hungry for attention and they don't care what their kids might go thru later on in life.

OCakes Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 6:29am
post #10 of 24

Shakivia - I like your name, and I like your nickname "Kivia". Sounds very cute & I'm sorry you hate it! My daughter is Jackilyn & I know she's bound to have to spell it for people (but there are so many ways to spell it, she would anyway)... there are many Tiffany's, but that's the first time I've heard Shakivia - I hope you learn to love it one day. My other daughter Lilli (short for Lillian), always has to correct people who spell it "Lily" or other wrong ways. People just don't care anymore..... but I thought I would share that with you so you don't feel alone!

As for these other people purposely naming their children terrible things like Hitler or Violence........ or crazy things like that poor Hula kid... what are they thinking? Their kids will know who did that & probably take it out against them in the end. Same with people who teach their kids wrong on purpose & confuse them (like calling a pencil a soda - I knew someone who did that for their own fun! Think of the child's learning progress or lack thereof!)....... GRRR!!!

ceshell Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:26am
post #11 of 24

Here's the other thread, 10 pages of discussion on the topic. It's pretty apalling, and so sad to see such hatred in the world. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-612597.html

KKC Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 7:52am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCakes

Shakivia - I like your name, and I like your nickname "Kivia". Sounds very cute & I'm sorry you hate it! My daughter is Jackilyn & I know she's bound to have to spell it for people (but there are so many ways to spell it, she would anyway)... there are many Tiffany's, but that's the first time I've heard Shakivia - I hope you learn to love it one day. My other daughter Lilli (short for Lillian), always has to correct people who spell it "Lily" or other wrong ways. People just don't care anymore..... but I thought I would share that with you so you don't feel alone!

As for these other people purposely naming their children terrible things like Hitler or Violence........ or crazy things like that poor Hula kid... what are they thinking? Their kids will know who did that & probably take it out against them in the end. Same with people who teach their kids wrong on purpose & confuse them (like calling a pencil a soda - I knew someone who did that for their own fun! Think of the child's learning progress or lack thereof!)....... GRRR!!!





Thanks icon_smile.gif I've learned to live with it I guess icon_wink.gif Its funny because none of my grandmother's kids have unusual names...My mom (Andrea) my uncles (Lawrence & Timothy) My aunts (Sheila & Tracy)...and then comes the grandchildren...Shakivia, Keir, Princel, Traiandrea (named after my mom (Andrea and aunt Tracy)=Traiandrea...oh and my cousin...Hydeia (named after the little girl on Maury Povich talk show who is living with full blown aids...she's now in her 20's....Niquell sounds like Nyquil tapedshut.gif
My little cousin who was just born a few months ago Makaya which isn't all that bad except people always pronounce it MaKiya.

I'm sorry, i lost focus icon_redface.gif ....but I just think that our parents kinda dropped the ball with these names. They thought that they were cute at the time but I think as we grow up we kinda grow out of the "cute" names.

I think alot of parents don't realize how these names are going to look on job applications and resumes..."Talula Does The Hula", "Violence", "Adolf Hitler"....I know that its a free country and all but there should be laws against these ridiculous (sp?) names!

Homemade-Goodies Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:40am
post #13 of 24

I loved the comment someone made on the other thread...interesting that both parents don't work. I thought the White Power folk were all about minorities being lazy and living on welfare...ironic!

These may be their beliefs and they chose to shove it down their children's throat via their names, but I think that that was entirely meant to impose it on society - schools, agencies, and now supermarkets. They knew it would come to a head at some point...and I can't help but think they were waiting to cash in, thanks to silly tort laws.

My grandfather in law was said to have collaborated in the war, even naming his child born in the war 'Adolf'. This forced my uncle in law to live his life hiding/denying his birth name. The family knows him as only 'Dolf'. Of course, in Holland it has more bearing, but anywhere in the world it is clearly recognizable and touchy.

Monkess Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:05pm
post #14 of 24

Wow...what losers. I feel bad for that child, imagine going through life with them as parents..sheesh!

uschi1 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 24

Wow - I was born and raised in Germany, and I can tell you that Adolf is no longer a popular name given to children, let alone Adolf Hitler. Unless, of course, you are a Neonazi....
Given Walmart's refusal to put certain music CDs on their shelves, I'm really surprised they agreed to make this cake. Guess it's okay to cater to white supremacists, but you better not use any cuss words in your songs...

Rosie2 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 24

Oh come on, those people are definitely neonazis...why would they want a swastica on a cake??!! I feel sad for those children.

It was in the news last year that a guy is so much into sports that he named his son ESPN, how do you think that kid will be called in school?.. icon_sad.gif

I was very young when I had my first child, and I wanted him to be a junior so I named him Javier like his father --common name in my culture, but no here.-- Well, when he went to school nobody could pronounce his name and he was called all sorts of names including 'caviar'... icon_cry.gif I felt so bad. Later on I told him he could change his name, but he chose not to, he just goes by 'junior'

BTW, I named my other 2 kids Julian--Vanessa icon_biggrin.gif

alvarezmom Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:04pm
post #17 of 24

Growing up I hated my name Angelica. NO ONE could prnounce it. PPL tried to shorten it by calling me Angie--and that to me was even worse....I had teachers pronouncing my name An-gel (like the hair product)-ika...OMG I was so embarressed.

I named my kids Delicia (after my husband's grandmother who is Alicia), Nathan, Madelyn (like Madeline), and Serenity.

Someonesmommy Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 9:11am
post #18 of 24

Speaking of ignorant names to name children.......a friend of mine who works in the ER of our local hospital said this women brought her child in one night and she was having trouble pronouncing the little boys name (spelled M-A-H-S-U-N) She called the boy Mason......nope that wasn't it!!!! The dingbat named her child "MYSON"!!!

Rosie2 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 4:04pm
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someonesmommy

Speaking of ignorant names to name children.......a friend of mine who works in the ER of our local hospital said this women brought her child in one night and she was having trouble pronouncing the little boys name (spelled M-A-H-S-U-N) She called the boy Mason......nope that wasn't it!!!! The dingbat named her child "MYSON"!!!



icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I really hope those kids change their names...

I personally know a lady that had her daughter during her hippie days...she named her daughter 'Chasing Storms'....the girl just goes by 'Storm'

kandu001 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 3:17pm
post #20 of 24

Isn't this some form of child abuse? Just kidding, but seriously it would have to be awful to have to live life with a name like Adolf Hitler.

ceshell Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:03am
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandu001

Isn't this some form of child abuse? Just kidding, but seriously it would have to be awful to have to live life with a name like Adolf Hitler.



Not if your parents are teaching you to be proud of your namesake thumbsdown.gif

all4cake Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 6:40am
post #22 of 24

I really believe Wal~Mart did the cake simply to make the issue go away....if they, too, had refused it would've brought more attention to the situation and probably even put dollar signs in some ignoramous lawyer's eyes and whether they would've won or not would be beside the point....not the publicity Wal~Mart is seeking. Maybe Wal~Mart seen it not as a money making opportunity but simply filling an order...

Wal~Mart, IMHO, was in a "damned if you do...damned if you don't situation"....

OCakes Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 8:00pm
post #23 of 24

Hey Shakivia - I just saw your reply to mine... years go by and I'm not on CC very much anymore..... but I read your reply - WOW!!  I have found a lot of parents with common names are going for non-traditional names these days.  I think Adolf, and especially "Violence" (really?), are taking it WAY too far.  The law of common sense should rule, but unfortunately doesn't.  Anyway, thank you for sharing with me, and I'm curious what you will name your kids!  ha ha!!  Sally or Bob.  =)

OCakes Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 8:02pm
post #24 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKC 
Thanks icon_smile.gif I've learned to live with it I guess icon_wink.gif Its funny because none of my grandmother's kids have unusual names...My mom (Andrea) my uncles (Lawrence & Timothy) My aunts (Sheila & Tracy)...and then comes the grandchildren...Shakivia, Keir, Princel, Traiandrea (named after my mom (Andrea and aunt Tracy)=Traiandrea...oh and my cousin...Hydeia (named after the little girl on Maury Povich talk show who is living with full blown aids...she's now in her 20's....Niquell sounds like Nyquil tapedshut.gif
My little cousin who was just born a few months ago Makaya which isn't all that bad except people always pronounce it MaKiya.

I'm sorry, i lost focus icon_redface.gif ....but I just think that our parents kinda dropped the ball with these names. They thought that they were cute at the time but I think as we grow up we kinda grow out of the "cute" names.

I think alot of parents don't realize how these names are going to look on job applications and resumes..."Talula Does The Hula", "Violence", "Adolf Hitler"....I know that its a free country and all but there should be laws against these ridiculous (sp?) names!

Hey Shakivia - I just saw your reply to mine... years go by and I'm not on CC very much anymore..... but I read your reply - WOW!!  I have found a lot of parents with common names are going for non-traditional names these days.  I think Adolf, and especially "Violence" (really?), are taking it WAY too far.  The law of common sense should rule, but unfortunately doesn't.  Anyway, thank you for sharing with me, and I'm curious what you will name your kids!  ha ha!!  Sally or Bob.  :razz:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%