Several How Do I's! :)

Decorating By rcsnickers2 Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 1:27am by indydebi

rcsnickers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcsnickers2 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 4

First, I make my own MMF. How long can I store in the refrigerator? I used some for a birthday cake in Oct and would like to use the rest for this month's birthday cake. If it is dry, then would I add crisco and knead?

How do you know which recipes are better? Trial and error? I used three Red Velvet recipes and not one turned out good! There seems to be so many versions to a cake recipe that I don't know what to look for when picking out the right one! Maybe after years of baking and trying I will have a good list of the best from scratch cakes. So far chocolate is my only one! icon_smile.gif

Also, I want to make a tiara for the top of a cake. This will be my first time. Should I use RI or chocolate? Any helpful tips would be great! Thanks!

Letisha

3 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 4

your mmf should last a long long time, I used a batch I made 6 months after I first made it, I put it in the microwave for 10 seconds to soften it up and then kneaded it with a small bit of crisco.

Finding a scratch cake that you love is all trial and error, you listen to what others are saying and try their recipies and even if several people love a cake you may hate it. It is all personal taste.

I like working with chocolate more than RI - only because I am lazy and it is easier to prepare. Best tip...make more than one tiara both chocolate and RI break SO easily, after you trace your tiara onto wax paper let it dry and go over it again twice to thicken it up.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 12:43am
post #3 of 4

I totally agree with cupcakemkr about the tiaras, please make more than one!!! I have dropped a tiara right before I put it on the cake and it broke into a million pieces and I had to put a plastic one on top of the cake instead!!! Never again will I only make one.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:27am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsnickers2

How do you know which recipes are better? Trial and error?

Yes.

And practice. Lots of practice. You'll be excited on the day that you realize you "just know" when something is right, wrong, or a little off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%