Castle Cake

Decorating By makenice99 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm by makenice99

makenice99 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 9

I have been so inspired by all of the beautiful pictures I have decided to try a castle cake for my neice's birthday party. I will be making a yellow cake with the cake extender. 12 X 12 square and a 8" round are my pan sizes. But I have a few quick questions.

1. What do you use to make the colums? I was thinking of gumpaste & fondant? Or is rice krispy covered gumpast better to use?

2. Do you cut out of the cake to fit in the colums or just place them next to the cake?

All advise is greatly appreciated.

8 replies
jammjenks Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 9

I have made a castle cake a couple times using the Wilton Romantic Castle kit. Maybe you could try that.

sarahbasile Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 9

I used toilet paper rolls for the columns and did cut out a notch so the columns sit nicely against the cake. HTH and good luck!

flowers40 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 9

I used the paper towel roll at the end of the paper towel. You know, the card board tube you are left with when you use all the paper towel. You will find, that different brands have different size and weight of tubes. Most are a bit light weight. You may need to cut them down to the height you need, because they are regularly almost 12 inches which may be too tall. You need to keep in mind the ending height with the torrets added. Also for a shorter tower, the toilet paper rolls work great too. I have found that in some of my foil rolls, the tube is much thinner, this is good for a different size. The problem with this is you have to think ahead and start collecting this stuff ahead of time. Also, I found it much easier for attachment purposes, to cut out the cake a bit to fit the shape of the tower, it just goes in much more snug and holds better. I used RI to act as glue, so the towers would not fall over. P.S. I bought Wilton's castle kit. My problem with that is how these things stay up on top of your cake, because they don't have a hollow end to stick down into you cake, and you would seriosly have to glue them to you cake board. And then comes the problem of getting people to gather up all you pieces (of the wilton towers and torrets)and get them back to you.

FromScratch Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 9

I used PVC pipes for the columns on my castle cake and I cut out notches from the cake so that they rested against the cake nicer.

Now when you say a 12" square.. do you mean a double layer 12" square? With a double layer 8" on top? Unless you are expecting a LOT of people.. I'd down size. Mine was a 10" with a 6" on top and we had WAY too much cake. We served the 6" at the party and most of the 10" went to work with my DH (and we had plenty of people at the party). A double layer 12" square will serve 70 wedding servings and the 8" will serve 20.. that's almost 100 servings of cake. Even if you cut them generously you will have enough cake for 60-70 people. Just something to think about. icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 9

i used swiss roll - more cake for them!

KatieKake Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 9

I did my version of a Debbie Brown castle for my granddaughter, I used the tubes from wax paper, or plastic wrap for the towers, I could have dusted them so they could have been removed, but I decided to leave them in the towers, because I knew she would never want to cut the cake, that being the case I also made the base of the cake with a dummy, then I put it on a cake mountain made in the wonder mold pan to eat. She loved it and Mom and Dad saved the castle, and it is on the table, for her birthday ever since.

makenice99 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 9

OMG, who said Disney is the best place on earth. No, it's this forum. You all are the best. Thank you so much and the tutorial it's a life saver. Thank you all so very much and have a wonderful Holiday.

Not sure I am going to stay focus at work for the next 2 hours. I wanna go home and make my colums. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%