Is It Possible To Cover A Cake Iced With Smbc In Fondant?

Decorating By aminaz Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm by -K8memphis

aminaz Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 13

i've been asked to do a chocolate cake iced in vanilla SMBC, and for the cake to be smoothly covered in fondant. is this possible? the cake will be positioned the night before the party so no refrigeration. is this ok?

12 replies
springlakecake Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 13

yes you can

springlakecake Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 13

yes you can

aminaz Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 13

so i dont need to refregirate?

mpaigew Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 13

We use SMBC at work, and won't let it sit out for more than a few hours before an event. We use it under fondant all the time, but I would be really cautious about leaving it out overnight. It probably would be better, being under fondant, but the bc would be very, very soft.

aminaz Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 13

ok, so i will ice the cake, put it in the fridge to firm up, cover it with fondant, then leave it on display for 2 days. is that ok?

hope22023 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 13

if its for display only, I would say ok. I know the recipe I use says that it can be left at room temperature for 3-5 days but from personal experience, the icing really isnt good after one night out. Just my opinion tho!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 13

My smbc is fine at room temp for several days and so says Margaret Braun in her book Cakewalk. And I fondant cover smbc no problems. And then they eat it, not just for displays.

BakingJeannie Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #9 of 13

Most of my cakes I cover with SMBC and fondant. I love it especially for squared cakes, get really nice corners when cake is cold and iced. I usually leave it out just before pickup. I tell my family and friends to use a sharp knife to cut cake.

I use the pausterized liquid egg white in the box, even though I still heat them with the sugar.

FromScratch Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 13

I use it all the time too.. and depending on the room temp, it might not be really soft. In the cooler months, the SMBC stays quite firm since room temps are usually around 65-70 degrees. In the warmer months it definitely gets a bit soft when room temps are closer to 75-80 degrees.

You can leave it out for more than a day and have it be yummy to eat. I think the more butter in your recipe the better it holds up. Some SMBC recipes have markably less butter and they behave more like a meringue and can get a bit spongy when left out.. but they don't all do that. icon_smile.gif

tinygoose Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 13

I use SMBC under fondant all the time. I usually plan on 2 days from the time I take the iced cake out of the fridge and cover it with fondant, that's when the clock begins for me, to when it's eaten. But I've had people not want to cut their cakes, so they have gone 3 days. I've heard some people go as long as a week. I often use powdered egg whites because they have no chance of salmonella contamination, but fresh are fine too as long as you cook them to over 160 degrees. I've heard that you can refrigerate fondant you just can't touch it until the condensation dissipates. If you have an extra fridge you may want to set it at its warmest level and put the cake in there. I think it will be fine.

aminaz Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 10:42am
post #12 of 13

thanks for everyones advice. i will attempt to make it. when i meant the cake will be on display, i meant it will be on the party location the night before so that in the morning it will be ready to cut. i do have an extra fridge so i will put it there although we are in winter where the weather is really cold, as cold as a fridge anyway.
by the way what is the recipe for making SMBC with mirangue power instead of egg whites?

-K8memphis Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 13

There are powdered egg whites or egg whites that come as liquid that you can use but meringue powder has a bunch of sugar in it so that won't work as a regular smbc recipe. I'm sure there's probably a recipe out there that could make a different kind of meringue icing with meringue powder but I don't know what it is.

So if you get the other pure egg white products--it will have directions on there on how to substitute for regular egg whites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%