Piano Cake.....

Decorating By sshoshie Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 4:01pm by DianeLM

sshoshie Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:58am
post #1 of 8

Do you have any tips on making a piano cake? The baby grabd kind. What would you use for the top, and how about the base legs? Thanks forany help on this!

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:06am
post #2 of 8

http://acmecakes.com/images/RIMG01072.JPG

Next time I will make a rug to go under the piano--but I used one of those clear tubes that you can see underneath there and the bottom plate is buried within the boards and the top plate has the piano on it.

I love my keyboard--it's marzipan.

The legs are just a piece of fondant dried out and stuck on there.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 8

If I made another one, I would open the top up and make the lid out of gingerbread subbing most of the molasses for honey which does not respond to humidity. Cover it with fondant or candy clay.

sshoshie Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 8

thanks!

Rachael1013 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 8

I used foam board for mine. Mine was a concert grand so it was fairly large, but it stayed just fine.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1275377

kaat Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 8

This is a pic of a last minute cake I made for my friend and neighbour. I did it in a hurry on the humidist (is that a word?) day of the summer. It's still wet. The legs are pillars coated in chocolate the top is a solid piece that I also coated in ganache as my tempering job sucked!
LL

kaat Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 8

Ok ya, it's actually pretty hideous in that picture... icon_redface.gif and if I had more time I would have cut the board smaller - but when it's free and in a hurry details slip through the cracks. icon_rolleyes.gif

uh, Rachel... THAT'S AWESOME!

DianeLM Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:01pm
post #8 of 8

I made my piano many years ago before I knew what I was doing. LOL

First, I colored the pillar legs with silver Sharpie. Then, I hot glued the legs between two boards.

The piano is on it's own board that I stuck onto the base with double sided tape.

The lid and music stand are sugar cookies covered with buttercream and the keyboard is fondant.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%