Display Cakes

Decorating By bubba01 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm by kellymarie

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 20

Hello! For those of you who use styofoam dummies for display cakes. When using fondant, do you use a layer of buttercream on the styrofoam or do you apply the fondant directly to the styrofoam? Any input would be great. Thanks.

19 replies
pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 12:53am
post #2 of 20

i just use some water on the styrofoam...
in the case of topsy turvy cakes and square cakes... i use some gumpaste glue, or pipping gel... but sometimes i forget and dont put anything!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:39am
post #3 of 20

You could use bc ...since it is a display cake and no one is going to ever eat it, I use elmers glue! I find it stays in shape and in place plus it is non perishable. I wouldnt worry to much on using craft suppllies on your display cakes. Good luck!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 20

I've actually shrink-wrapped the dummy first, then smeared it with piping gel before putting on the fondant.

Having it wrapped in plastic preserves the dummy so I can re-use it. thumbs_up.gif

Bonnie151 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnie151 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 20

I shrink wrap my dummies as well so that I can easily use them again. I use a pastry brush to very lightly brush water over the shrink wrap.

CCCTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCCTina Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 20

How do you shrink wrap the dummy? Is there a kit for this? I was just thinking about this last week as I was putting Glad Press and Seal around them. I knew there had to be a better way.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #7 of 20

I just use a light coat of BC....it doesn't stick to plain dry styrofoam. I don't usually redo or reuse the dummies, but the shring wrap is a great idea.

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 20

I just use a water bottle and spritz water on my dummy and then add your fondant. When the fondant dries, it peels off and you can re-use your dummy. It isn't going to be eaten, so you can use it over and over again.

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 20

In classes I have taught I have students smear crisco onto the dummies with a pastry brush or use a cheap spray bottle of water. Fondant sticks perfectly-use buttercream for spackle though if you have dings in your dummy...LOL Dings in your dummy! I crack myself up!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 20

I do the same as iamlis with the shortening.. I use royal to patch them up though. The light coating of shortening lets your fondant stick and makes removal a breeze so you can use the same dummies time and time again.

Water will make removal of old fondant VERY difficult and you will end up damaging your dummies. I use shoertening and have never once had a problem with the fondant sticking (or not sticking) or removing it after I was done. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:07pm
post #11 of 20

I always use a spritz of water on the dummy to adhere my fondant. And getting the fondant off is easy. Just put the cake in the sink (or bathtub) and turn the water on. The fondant melts right off.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:09pm
post #12 of 20

I use plastic wrap then royal then fondant, If showcasing a BC cake I do it in Royal icing, but always prep the dummy in some fashion (ie: plastic, shortening)so you can reuse if you need to.

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 20

I use crisco....you may want to push in the edges a little...especially for square cakes....that way the fondant does not pull apart on the corners or edges.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:15pm
post #14 of 20

I just use plastic wrap-and sometimes heat it with a hair dryer to shrink-wrap it.

I've re-used dummies without wrapping in plastic as well....guess it just depends on what kind of mood i'm in! icon_smile.gif

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:42pm
post #15 of 20

The place I used to work wrapped their dummies in plastic, but if you didn't get it on just right, you'd see imperfections and wrinkles in the fondant.

I just use shortening. The last dummy that I re-used, I just popped the dried, hardened fondant off the dummy all in one piece!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:50pm
post #16 of 20

Seriously, you guys are making this too hard. ALL icing comes off with water.

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 20

Thanks everyone. Any tips on using buttercream on styrofoam dummies?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlis

In classes I have taught I have students smear crisco onto the dummies with a pastry brush or use a cheap spray bottle of water. Fondant sticks perfectly-use buttercream for spackle though if you have dings in your dummy...LOL Dings in your dummy! I crack myself up!

BWAHAHAHHAHAHAAA!!!!! Ohhhh... icon_cry.gif Laughing too hard icon_cry.gif OOOH Boy!!!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:36pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Seriously, you guys are making this too hard. ALL icing comes off with water.

I'd rather not wait for the fondant to melt.. it takes seconds to peel it off if you use shortening AND you don't have to clean up the tub/sink after.. plus.. if you get a little shortening on the outside of the fondant.. you don't get marks like you do with water or corn syrup.

I won't do dummies in anything but fondant. Putting BC or royal on a dummy is a PITA.

I am not a patient person.. so when I want the old covering off.. I want it off now.. not when it melts. icon_lol.gif Plus if you are lucky it will just come off in one piece.. which is cool. icon_wink.gif

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 6:38pm
post #20 of 20

jkalman I am totally switching to crisco!! i never thought of it but it makes a lot of sense! Yay, now i can save my dummies once they are faded/old!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%