Cake Flour Vs. All-Purpose

Decorating By dmich Updated 18 Dec 2008 , 3:16am by dmich

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I've seen a couple of comments that cake flour should always be used, rather than all-purpose flour. Does everyone agree? If a recipe calls for all-purpose flour, should I use the same amount of cake flour to substitute or should an adjustment be made?

TIA!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #2 of 6

You should use what the recipe calls for. I have a few recipes that specifically call for all purpose flour. I have changed a couple of other recipes because I felt they would do better with stronger flour.

But, bottom line, use what the recipe calls for.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:47am
post #3 of 6

Agree with Leahs, use what the recipe calls for. I like a cake with a tender crumb, so I look for those that use Cake flour such as Softasilk...which is the best cake flour, in my taste-tests done. But I do have a few that calls for AP and so I don't sub it out.
HTH! icon_smile.gif

dmich Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much! I"m glad I asked before I baked or I may have had a story for cake disasters.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 6

Agree with the previous posters.

When making cakes, BLEACHED all purpose flour (unless the recipe specifies unbleached) yields better results:
(Includes common baking ingredients substitution chart.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6175365-.html

I have, however, successfully substituted AP flour and cornstarch when making my favorite cake flour pound cake for my sister (who prefers AP flour icon_eek.gif ). The crumb was larger, which she likes......

HTH

dmich Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 3:16am
post #6 of 6

Thanks, Jan. That link was really helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%