Decorating By bafishr Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 3:47am by diane706

bafishr Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 11

I have attempted three cakes in the soccer ball pan. All three have fallen. Not just fallen they aren't cooked all the way icon_cry.gificon_mad.giftapedshut.gif The first two recipes were from the Cake Dr., Almond Cream Cheese, the last was just a regular recipe. The second cake I tried using the flower nail but it also fell. I did have one that turned out right.

These need to be done by Wednesday icon_mad.gif

Any ideas as to what could be causing the problem?

Thanks ya'll

10 replies
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 11

You could use the pan as your guide. Take baked cake and layer it in the pan sandwiched together with icing.

Or bake a short layer in there & bake round cakes and stack those all up--trim a bit as necessary.

TinkerB Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 11

This may or maynot be the reason your cakes is dropping, but are you opening your oven door often to check on the cake? If so keep the door shut & just peek through the window. I very, very gently jiggle my oven to see if the batter still jiggles in the center if so I don't open to check with a toothpick until it has stopped jiggling. The temp drop when opening the door can make the cake drop...

someone may have a more scientific answer for you & I'd love to hear it myself!

Galler Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 11

I know some people think it is cheating to use a box mix but I used a Duncan Hines chocolate cake and the flower nail trick for mine and it worked great.

JenniferMI Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 11

I use not nail and a cake mix, works fine. Not sure what you are doing, but it could be the recipe.

Jen icon_smile.gif

bafishr Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 11

I'm not opening the door until the last five min. icon_wink.gif It isn't cooking in the middle, but the edges are cooking. Can;t figure out why one turned out but three didn't icon_cry.gif

mbt4955 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 11

Is that the same as the sports ball pan? I have found that my cakes have to bake a LOT longer than they would in a normal pan. The outside is really cooked and the middle is still runny, but the middle finally catches up. Mine are usually a little over filled, so I am cutting off the top edges anyway.

TinkerB Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:24am
post #8 of 11

Okay, I'm feelin' for you! I know you need these for wed - So, I did a quick search on Wilton and found this thread

In a nutshell what I've learned - if you use "spray" to grease you pans the sides will harden & cook faster. Try greasing with shortening & then flour. Another culprit - overfilling pan. Since this is the ball pan it is possible that it will take much longer to bake than what is called for in the recipe - did the pan itself come with any suggested times?

icer101 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:39am
post #9 of 11

none of us should feel guilty if we use box mix... i use box mix.... box mix extenders.. and from scratch... i have baked some terrible cakes from scratch.. went right by the directions... so dry , couldn,t be eaten.. fell apart. after decorating it... so embarassed.... some clients like box mix better. some ask for scratch.... so many say .. do what you want.. i think you should bake your cake a lilttle longer... and maybe on lower heat... that is what i do..

kakeladi Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:22am
post #10 of 11

It sounds to me like your oven might not be working properly.
Are you using a thermoter inside to check the temp? Don't rely on the 'dial' as many ovens are off. If it is electric one of your elements could be burned outl.

diane706 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:47am
post #11 of 11

Have you tried using pound cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%