Rude Message On Machine, You Wont Believe This Lady

Lounge By Aliwis000 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 3:21pm by Aliwis000

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 14

So a few days ago I posted that I was graduating from college on Friday Dec. 12. I was lucky enough to have President Bush (the current one) give the commencement speech for us. (It was amazing! º ) Anyway Bush spoke at 10:30am for all the graduates then there were 3 separate graduations where the students actually walked across stage. Anyway my parents own a small business and we run it by ourselves. So we closed down the shop for the whole day (first non holiday shut down in over 10 years) so they could be there for me. We told all our customers before hand and posted signs in the shop the week before, made sure we let anyone know that needed their job on Friday and left a recorded message on the machine for those who called. Monday morning I listen to the only message on there it is a lady and the message goes something like this

¡§Is this a real business or are we just announcing that someone is graduating? Isnt that nice.(complete sarcasm) You will not have a very good ho-ho season if you are not accepting customers. Okay. I will call the next one on the list.¡¨

What is up with that? I was mad at first now I am slightly stunned someone would actually leave this message. And I kind of would like to call her manager (the lady was from a company as the name of the company and phone number showed up on caller id obviously) and let them know. Would you do this? I mean the business that called is NOT a customer of ours, and we have never worked with them before, so its not like she needed us. I was just surprised someone would say this.

~Alicia

13 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 14

What do you guys do for a business??
I ask to see if you work with business to business or with customers directly.
If you work with customers and not other businesses that means she was on work time doing personal business and then I would totally call the busines and let them know that one of their employees was harassing my business

Auryn Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 14

If you work with customers and not other businesses that means she was on work time doing personal business and then I would totally call the busines and let them know that one of their employees was harassing my business

Auryn Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 14

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 14

Oh yes I would in a heart beat call her boss and let them know the kind of vibes she's giving off. And if that boss didn't care I'd ask for the his boss' name and call/write them. If you do decide to please update.

Yes yes yes!

And congratulations on the graduation.

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 14

Enjoy the fact that you had a wonderful graduation. Maybe she was just having a bad moment. You have too much good going on to dwell on this.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 14

See, 95% of us do not complain in a way that has the potential to bring about a positive resolution. Only 5% of us do complain in the right way to the ones who can make an impact on future behavior. But the 95% will tell everyone else.

Those 5% are our friends. If we are the receiver of the complaints these heroic five percenters help us see where we can improve if we want to.

If we are the 5% then we try to make the world a better place.
The few, the proud, the 5%. icon_biggrin.gif

She was obviously enjoying 'a bad moment' and wanted to spread the wealth. Wrong wrong wrong. Beyond uncalled for behavior.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 14

We also have a family business. We've been open 7 days a week for the past 39 years without fail. We tried closing for Christmas one year and because we live right next door to the business, people would knock on the door and ask us to open. I had one rude customer say on that particular day "Boy, you guys sure are greedy. I can't believe you are open,
don't you have any dignity? It's disgusting you are WILLING to exploit this community to take money on such a sacred day." After I closed my mouth, I politely responded "If we are such bad people, then why are you here? I certainly don't need your money and I was getting tired of our customers banging on the door every five minutes. It was just easier to be open." He responded "I needed milk and no one else was opened". I then let him pay for his milk and wished him a Merry Christmas. We didn't even get to close when my mom passed away( today is her anniversary).

I'm glad you closed for your Graduation. Don't let her nasty rude message get in the way of your great accomplishment! There will always be one person to try and spoil your joy. Let her stupid comment just go the way of the dodo bird.

ladyellam Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:08pm
post #9 of 14

We also have a family business. We've been open 7 days a week for the past 39 years without fail. We tried closing for Christmas one year and because we live right next door to the business, people would knock on the door and ask us to open. I had one rude customer say on that particular day "Boy, you guys sure are greedy. I can't believe you are open,
don't you have any dignity? It's disgusting you are WILLING to exploit this community to take money on such a sacred day." After I closed my mouth, I politely responded "If we are such bad people, then why are you here? I certainly don't need your money and I was getting tired of our customers banging on the door every five minutes. It was just easier to be open." He responded "I needed milk and no one else was opened". I then let him pay for his milk and wished him a Merry Christmas. We didn't even get to close when my mom passed away( today is her anniversary).

I'm glad you closed for your Graduation. Don't let her nasty rude message get in the way of your great accomplishment! There will always be one person to try and spoil your joy. Let her stupid comment just go the way of the dodo bird.

Auryn Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:19pm
post #10 of 14

yes I forgot to say congratulations on graduating
got any pics icon_smile.gif

I am part of a family business so unfortunately I know very well how it works. All of our customers have our personal cell phone numbers, but they know the rules on how and when to call.

I don't think you should let that nit wit ruin you day or moment
however I would still call. People like that get away with that kind of behavior cause noone ever calls them out on it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 14

Hubby's family ran a business for 60 years (auto repair) and hubby tells me that people would call them on Christmas Day just to tell his dad that their car broke down and they would bring it in after the holiday!! I always asked "If they aren't really DOING anything, why would they call on Christmas DAY just to say 'see you next week'?" It would never even cross my mind to call ANYONE at home on a holiday like this!

I just don't get people sometimes.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 14

Sounds like she screwed up and really needed you to help save her ass, and when you weren't there she got frustrated. Could've been riding the old hormone rollercoaster, too. icon_razz.gif I had a client who was so used to us putting together catering events with little notice that they got very lazy and spoiled and would just not tell us until the last minute just out of laziness, knowing that we'd make it happen somehow.

I'd just move on and forget about her.

Congrats on the degree.

ladyellam Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:18am
post #13 of 14

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:21pm
post #14 of 14

*****************UPDATE*****************

I went ahead and called them. Guess who answers the phone? lol I asked for a manager or owner and after beating around for a few min. I got to another guy on the phone and told him the story. He listened and then said thank you for calling and that was the end of it. I had to call. I just think that her behavior was uncalled for. I didnt sink to her level though, I kept it very professional. Thanks for all the comments you girls rock!

~Alicia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%