Ugly Cake - What To Do?

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 6 Jan 2009 , 4:54pm by Penny7271

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 36

I was asked to make an inperfect cake. A customer (a very good customer) her bday is at the end of the month. Her husband is having a surprise party for her. He wants an ugly cake. She always has to have everything perfect, when she has parties and he is doing everything backwards. I need help making an ugly, gaudy cake, any ideas? This would be for about 50 people. They also ordered decorated sugar cookies, choc chip and cupcakes(All Ugly). I know I can count on all of you for some ugly ideas!

Thanks!

35 replies
Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 36

You could try and cut them so they are uneven and crooked. and then cover it with and ugly baby poo green fondant or buttercream with brown and dark red designs on it?

Sounds pretty ugly to me?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 36

There is a website that is train wrecks for cakes...there are some UGLY cakes. Also you could try using google...or even have on of the toddler neighbor hood toddlers come over and help you!

I must say if that were my hubby he'd get an "ugly" look! LOL

SpoonfulofSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 36

check out the cake wrecks blog and maybe even do a replica then you can also give him the picture of the cake wreck you were replicating for your client.......as for the cookies...the chocolate chip ones.....I have no idea how to make them look ugly.....I mean how can a chocolate chip cookie look bad? icon_biggrin.gif

angelcakes5 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 36

Thanks for the ideas. I will see what I can find. I am sure the hubby will get a very ugly look. I told him to let her know it wasn't my idea. I dont want her mad at me!!

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 36

make your cake then hit it with a hair dryer for about 5 minutes- that should sufficiently ugly it up!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 36

it should be off balanced/tilting with the icing melting on one side, words mispelled, definately not smoothed out properly, maybe a finger smudge like someone tok a swipe at the frosting to taste it...Have fun with this

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:02pm
post #8 of 36

Are you sure you want to do this? If she's the good customer and she doesn't find his "joke" amusing, you could lose her. Sounds rather mean-spirited to me.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 36

I like the idea of using Cake Wrecks for inspiration, maybe cover with fondant and let it fold, tear and bunch - you can be stress free when frosting and covering your cake icon_smile.gif. For the choc. chip cookies, what about just serving them broken and piled haphazzardly on the platter?

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by handymama

Are you sure you want to do this? If she's the good customer and she doesn't find his "joke" amusing, you could lose her. Sounds rather mean-spirited to me.

I think it depends on the person and her sense of humor, some people might get upset, but I think most would take it in stride and have a laugh (hopefully this customer does). Definitely let her know is was all hubby's idea, maybe make one perfect of each small item as your gift just for her (cupcake, cookies). It could be fun.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 36

Make sure there are crumbs in the frosting if you do buttercream!

angelcakes5 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:12pm
post #12 of 36

I know she wont be mad. She will probably think its hilarious. She is a teacher and was my kindergarten teacher, my daughters and hopefully my sons next year. He told me to do whatever I want and he knows it might not look nice but it will taste good. No way I am giving up this order. Good idea about making some nice cookies or cupcakes, I think I will do that - thanks for the idea!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 36

this will be a fun party and a fun cake.. she will love it.. her husband wants this for her for goodness sakes.... you can do it.... just get an idea of your own and go for it... look at some ugly cakes and combine what you want out of them... hth

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:17pm
post #14 of 36

I think there is a difference between "ugly" and poorly done. Ugly would be bad color combos, poorly done would be the crumbs in the icing or cakes sliding off each other. I would make sure which one the hubby wants.

Just a thought and I cant wait to see how it looks!

~Alicia

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:19pm
post #15 of 36

I think there is a difference between "ugly" and poorly done. Ugly would be bad color combos, poorly done would be the crumbs in the icing or cakes sliding off each other. I would make sure which one the hubby wants.

Just a thought and I cant wait to see how it looks!

~Alicia

angelcakes5 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 36

He said ugly/glaudy. Mispell birthday for example. Tacky. I think it will be fun to do!

angelcakes5 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:34pm
post #17 of 36

He said ugly/glaudy. Mispell birthday for example. Tacky. I think it will be fun to do!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:35pm
post #18 of 36

I would go more for tack myself. Like an orange cake with green swags that have pink polka dots.

TinkerB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerB Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:36pm
post #19 of 36

Couldn't you make a perfectly "messy" cake? Like was suggested - tilted tiers/layers, if writing - make some letters backwards and off center, but still neatly written, two different borders - as if you didn't know which to choose, odd colors you wouldn't normally put together ...but keep the quality of the decs good - you don't want people to question whether you are really a bad decorator & it just happened to fit his theme or whether you are a great decorator who can fit any theme! This way you'll hopefully please both the hubby & the b-day girl!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:36pm
post #20 of 36

I would go more for tack myself. Like an orange cake with green swags that have pink polka dots.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:49pm
post #21 of 36

sorry duplicate post.

Juds2323 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:50pm
post #22 of 36

You could still do a beautifully executed cake just put it it garish colors and maybe even gilt it. It could be a beautifully ugly cake. Maybe even over decorated as that makes a pretty ugly cake too.

Judi

Juds2323 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:50pm
post #23 of 36

duplicate post.

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:16pm
post #24 of 36

How about a beautiful cake for another occassion obviously altered to make it a birthday cake, as a joke I have used Christmas cards and tippex-ed out Christmas and written birthday you then get to make something gorgeous but make it look recycled.

EDITED TO ADD: I just checked Tipp-Ex is a European brand, just to clarify it is correction fluid, the white stuff you paint on paper and can then write over!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:22pm
post #25 of 36

What about doing the decorations backwards. Like pink/red leaves with green flowers. upside down swags, i don't know, interesting cake, can't wait to see what you do with it.

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:08am
post #26 of 36

I think I would take a cake that I normally make and change the colors around so they are really hideous... so a very well made cake but in colors that really clash. She will be able to tell that it's an expertly done cake designed to look ugly.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #27 of 36

I would at least try to do it in good taste. Like crumbs in the icing is gross to me not ugly....
You could do it in fondant with mis-matched colors, a large tier on bottom and a very small tier on top that is decorated completely wrong compared to the bottom one. Sounds to me like she is a perfectionist, so he wants it imperfect.....
Maybe 80's style or 70's style decorations....lol
Anyway I would definitely have fun with this cake!

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 10:56pm
post #28 of 36

How about a leaning cake or a topsy-turvy cake decorated in tacky, gaudy colors?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:10pm
post #29 of 36

i was going to suggest topsy turvey cake too! in my head, id thought like cans of paint on the top, spilling their colours down the cake. or wobbly blobs, http://cimg.sourceforge.net/img/ss_blobs.jpg -this was the only pic i could find online with the shae im thinking of! but maybe thats more mess tha gaudy? good luck!
xx

Penny7271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny7271 Posted 27 Dec 2008 , 7:37pm
post #30 of 36

I agree with Alicia on the difference between ugly and poorly done. I think a topsy turvy cake in crazy colors would be a great idea! Just the fact that it was topsy turvy sounds like it would throw her since she likes things "perfect"!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%