Help With Coloring Icing Please!

Baking By MamaYogi Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 10:17pm by DsLady614

MamaYogi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:20pm
post #1 of 8

I am new to the world of fancy cookie decorating and I love it! I used an icing recipe called Meringue Powder Buttercream to ice my cookies. I made a glaze. I am having trouble getting the icing the true color of christmas red and also true christmas green. I use Wilton gels but the color comes out more light red and light green. I see so many pictures on this site with the vibrant real colors and I want that too! What should I be doing or using? Do you typically have to use alot of the gel? Maybe I am not using enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7 replies
chutzpah Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 8

Americolor is better, actually. Do your coloring the day before so the colors have time to mature. Sometimes they darken overnight. Sometimes you have to use TONS of coloring!

JenWhitlock Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 12:02am
post #3 of 8

I agree. everyone loves the Americolor (but I haven't used it yet)

you can get those vibrant colors with wilton colors (which I use a lot) but you need TONS of color - don't use a toothpick - use a knife or tiny spoon.

also, leting it set will often intensify the color, plus it seems to me that I get more color bleeding with "fresh" mixed reds and blacks than those that have sat for a day.

good luck!

cakedesigner59 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 12:24am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWhitlock

also, leting it set will often intensify the color, plus it seems to me that I get more color bleeding with "fresh" mixed reds and blacks than those that have sat for a day.

good luck!

Perhaps you can help me...I ruined some nice cookies this week, the black bled all over the white. I am crushed about it. I also had the same thing happen with a design I put on a buttercream iced cake. Am I using too much black? What is the secret to keeping black where it belongs?
Thanks!

-Tubbs Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 8

Ok, another question along these lines.

I don't have easy access to Americolor (have to order it online = expensive) so I tend to use Wilton. Works fine for all but those dark colours.

When I use red or black to colour RI for piping details, the icing goes crumbly when it dries. Last time I added extra meringue powder to the red, hoping it wouldn't crumble off, but some still did.

Any suggestions welcome.

GeminiRJ Posted 24 Dec 2008 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 8

Adding brite white (Americolor, though Wilton has a white white) to the icing before coloring seems to help when I'm going for a deeper color. I don't know if the white helps the other colors to bond better, or what, but it does seem to work.

TracyLH Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 8

Here are some things I do that really help. For the most part, I use Americolor (it is supposed to taste better than the Wilton) and only use Wilton if they have a color I like better than the one in the Americolor palette.

For intense red, start by coloring your icing pink, then add red. I use Americolor Super Red. Everyone is right - you need to let it sit overnight to deepen.

For black, I use a great trick from SweetDreamsAT - add cocoa powder first before adding your black. It helps keep the black from bleeding. Also, to help prevent bleeding, add brown first so you don't use too much black. It will darken overnight anyway. I like Americolor Super Black.

This tricks have really helped me and I hope they do so for you as well!

DsLady614 Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 8

Oh definitely Americolor all the way! I have never managed a real red until I got a little bottle of their Super Red. I also let it sit for several hours before using it, and got a wonderful red. When we get back to the states, I will be tossing ALL my Wilton colors and replacing them with Americolor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%