New Ideas For A German Chocolate Cake??

Baking By Rhonda19 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 4:52am by Rhonda19

Rhonda19 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a German Chocolate Cake for my FIL's X-mas Party. I want it to really " POP" and make something besides the same German chocolate cake with Pecan/Coconut Frosting.

Does anyone have any ideas for some type of extra filling maybe, that will go with German Chocolate??

Thanks
Rhonda

4 replies
KoryAK Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 5

You can make is a GChoc "cream" cake by using a mousse inside too... coconut, chocolate, or maybe butter pecan? (you can use coffee syrups to flavor)

JP Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 5

Gourmet magazine did a great version of a German chocolate cake a few years ago. It was the same cake and they used a toasted coconut and caramel filling, along with toasted pecans. The caramel was made by caramelizing two cans of sweetened condensed milk; there is a recipe on CC for the method. The cake was filled with the coconut/pecan filling and covered in chocolate ganache. It was delicious and made a great presentation, as well.

Good luck!

Win Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 5

My first thought is why would anyone want to improve upon perfection. icon_lol.gif And then, if you change it, is it still "German Chocolate?" A cake made using german chocolate... now, that's different altogether. If I were changing things up, I'd like to try a hazelnut mousse and a bitter/sweet chocolate ganache...

Rhonda19 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:52am
post #5 of 5

" Win" yes, you are right....why try to improve perfection!! (LOL) BUT....this is a family X-mas, and most of the time, I am in charge of the deserts. I usually make a German Chocolate every year...or a Red Velvet, and I wanted to do something a little different, yet still stick with tradition!!

Thanks for the answers everyone!
Rhonda

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%