Snowflakes Help, No Posts Exits

Decorating By CakeDesigns Updated 23 Dec 2008 , 7:29pm by archanac

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, I need to make a snowflake cake this week and I'm interesting in finding out the best way to make snowflakes. I did a search and most of the posts are gone.

Is it better to do RI snowflakes, candymelt snowflakes with a mold, gumpaste using a cookie cutter and piping the design with RI or using a paper punch? What about doing snowflakes out of rice paper like those beautiful butterflies they make? Will the rice/wafer paper melt with the BC frosting?

Thanks for all your help!

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 12

It depends on how big you need them. I have done them in choco; some in royal & some piped right on the cake in b'cream. What's your poision?? icon_smile.gif

CakeDesigns Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 12

I have a 4 layer cake, 9-12" rounds and would like to place the snowflakes from smallest to biggest down the side like an arrangement of flowers. Maybe from 1" to 3". I'm leaning towards using a paper punch to punch out GP snowflakes, what do you think?

I found this picture online, sorry I don't know who made it and think the snowflakes are made out of rice paper. They look very thin and nice.
LL

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 12

They do look like rice paper..Its a beautiful cake.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 12

Rice/wafer paper can buckle w/handling or any moisture.
I think those are made w/very thin rolled fondant &/or gp; parts are cut out w/aspic cutters to make the design.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 12

Hi. I made my snowflakes from very thinly rolled gumpaste and a patchwork cutter. They dried beautifully and handled well with no breakages. I dusted them in "Snow" Mystical Dust.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1257701

Hope that helps!

CakeDesigns Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:28pm
post #7 of 12

Those are beautiful snowflakes. Thank you for the idea.

CakeDesigns Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 12

KoryAK made these beautiful snowflakes with a punch hole. Thanks KoryAK for posting an upclose picture of them.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1294693

This is the route I'm taking since they look so good and easy to make. I bought the punch but it's only about an inch so I'll probably have to make some with a 2" cutter. Let's see how it goes.

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Rice/wafer paper can buckle w/handling or any moisture.
I think those are made w/very thin rolled fondant &/or gp; parts are cut out w/aspic cutters to make the design.

I make rice/wafer paper butterflies all the time - and experienced buckling until I tripped across this great tip:

After you've cut out your design, lightly "paint" your rice or wafer paper with a thin coating of corn or vegetable oil. I add a drop of food coloring to the oil when I paint my butterflies. Allow the figure to dry on paper towels overnight to absorb the excess oil. The wafer paper now has a protective coating and can be placed on buttercream frosting with no worries.

Also - I've used my Fiskar's snowflake punch to make small snowflakes from fondant. I give them a very light coating of piping gel and sprinkle on edible glitter.

CakeDesigns Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 12

I found a thread with the heading: "I hate snowflakes". I think I'm adding myself to that list.

OK, I made a batch of tylose GP and tried to roll it out very thin (paper thin) with no avail. Then I tried the pasta roller, I have a cheap one from Michaels (or maybe JoAnn's) that goest up to 7. I used #3 and still the GP was not thin enough to put through the punch hole cavity. I tried using setting #2 put the machine was crumbling the GP. I finally decided to stick with #3 setting and then roll it out with the roller. This worked better but still had problems. Also, I had to roll out some GP let it dry for about 5 mins. and then put it through the pasta machine so that it would come out smoother and not sticking to the rollers.

I made about 90 snowflakes with a metal cutter. This method worked better and faster. Then I "glued" the small paper thin GP snowflakes to the bigger snowflake so that the bigger snowflake could have a design.

In all it took me about 4 hours to do about 100 paper thin 1" snowflakes, 90 regular 3" and 6 bigger ones (4-5").

Yes, now I hate snowflakes and hate the fact that I didn't charge enough for the cake.

I'll post a pic of the snowflakes later in the week.

CakeDesigns Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 12

I just want to share the pic of the cake with the snowflakes. Thanks everyone!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1296375
LL

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 23 Dec 2008 , 7:29pm
post #12 of 12

That is a beautiful cake--as with all of your cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%