Interesting Cake "stand"

Decorating By CakesByJen2 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 4:45pm by scrapperjade

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 13

Some of you may have seen this done before, but I never had and though it was neat, so I thought I'd share the way they displayed the wedding cake I did this weekend. It was just a heavy "silver" platter placed on top of a ring of glass blocks, with a light inside. It looked really neat, and was just the right amount of light, and nice ambient glow without being distracting from the cake, especially with the glass looking icy and going with the wintery-Christmas-y theme.

In case anyone's interested, the red scrollwork design was based on the invitations, and the embroidery on the 9" tier was based on the dress. I wish now I had encouraged her to do the heaviery embroidery on the 12" tier, and use the simple dotted pattern around the monogram on the 9". The 12" tier looks a little too plain and too white in comparison to the other and would look better with a heavier design. Just curious, does anyone have trouble making out the monogram? It is an "H" in a very ornate script (font requested by bride). I thought it was clear, but several of the staff at the site couldn't make it out.
LL

12 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 13

that stand is really pretty cool!

I can clearly see that the letter is an H

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 13

What a great idea! thumbs_up.gif I love it! Don't worry, the monogram looks perfect and you can definitely tell what it is.

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 13

wow, that's a beautiful cake and a very neat cake stand....how cool! OH and you can definitely tell that is an "H".

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 13

Very cool idea ,I think Indydebi did some thing like this for a wedding.Love your H.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 13

It's beautiful! I agree with your comments on the design, but that might be power of suggestion as it is gorgeous as it sits as well. Do you think this would work with a clear platter as well or would you be able to see the light structure? What kind of light did you use? I'm assuming it was battery powered?

I can make out the "H" but I already knew what it was because of your comments. I'm assuming the guests would have known as well so I'm sure it wasn't an issue.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 13

The cake is beautiful...And I can see the H perfectly clear. You did a good job on it!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:14pm
post #8 of 13

Your cake is beautiful and I love the stand. I've seen the glass blocks used before and I just love them. I can see the "H" but maybe it's one of those things that is more visible if you're standing a little further away from it. You did a great job!!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 13

Beautiful! I knew it was an H as soon as I saw the photo.

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Do you think this would work with a clear platter as well or would you be able to see the light structure? What kind of light did you use? I'm assuming it was battery powered?

I didn't assemble it; it was already put together and all I had to do was set the cake on top. I wish now I had lifted the platter and peeked underneath to see exactly what kind of light was used. It was against a wall, so they could have just left a tiny gap between the blocks in the back to run a cord thru. I personally wouldn't be comfortable using a glass platter for fear it could crack under the stress, at least not for a wedding cake.

About the monogram, the bride gave me the pattern and I just resized it and traced in royal icing. I think the staff had trouble visualizing it because it was so ornate they were thinking it was supposed to be the 3-letter monogram and were trying to make 3 letters out of it, instead of just one, and most of them didn't know the name of the couple. I was just a little surprised because I hadn't ever thought of it as being confusing, but I'm sure the wedding guests would automatically recognize it as an "H" since they are well aware of their last name.

Anyway, I just thought it was a neat look, and I always like it when the bride picks and combines design elements from things that are unique to them and make the cake more personal. I wish the details of the embroidery showed up better, but when I compressed the pic to get it to post, it got fuzzy. Thanks for the comments!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 13

I love the glass blocks, and use them a lot for catering. Depending how you use them, they can be very elegant or very modern and sleek. And the big plus is that they are very easy to transport.

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:55am
post #12 of 13

Your cake is beautiful! I love the way you made that stand. I've been looking for ideas for my sister's wedding! Thank-you for sharing! I can tell that is a very fancy H!

scrapperjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapperjade Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 13

This is a gorgeous cake, and a very cool stand! And yes, the H is very easy to read... I knew what it was before you even mentioned anything about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%