Rolling Out Cookies.....

Baking By angiev77 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 4:03pm by SILVERCAT

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 21

Does anyone have any suggestions for the most efficient and easiest way to roll out cookies? I need to make a BUNCH but I have a full-time job and don't have a bunch of time. I always have a problem with them getting sticky.

20 replies
bmcd17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmcd17 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 21

I read to roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper and it doesn't stick, so I tried it and it worked. You can also get one of those mats that is called a silpat. I've read it is great for this and not sticking. They are a little more expensive, but supposedly worth it. I've also read where someone used a vinyl tablecloth for things like this. Hope that helps!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 21

I use waxed paper, no mess no sticking. Have fun with your cookies!

fchevel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fchevel Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 21

ya i have a tried a similar method but with cling wrap, but just be careful not to get carried away with the smooth rolling and make it too thin keep checking its the thickness you want

good luck

post up some pics of the finished product!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 21

Yes I understand how ridiculous $75 is for a cake toy. But I came to own one of these and there could not be a better friend to cookie makers other than automatic machinery.

http://www.kitchenfriendly.com/

The rubber bands on the ends of the rolling pins are nice but the dobord is the king daddy of cookie cruise control.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 21

I think it's antonia74 that has a tutorial here on CC, she shows how to roll out and cut out on your baking sheet, very little waste. Of course it depends on your shapes. Happy Baking!

Coraellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coraellen Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 21

Here is what I do to make my roll out cookies.
Make your dough. Lay out some plastic wrap on your counter and put your dough on it. Put a layer of plastic wrap on top then use 2 dowels the size of your cookie thickness ie 1/4 in and put the on top of the plastic wrap but on the sides of your dough.Roll your dough until your pin hits the dowels. Then your dough is the correct thickness. Put it in the fridge for the alloted time and when it comes out all you have to do is cut it with your cutters and put in the oven. This works for me every time and I don't have to add flour and make my cookies stiff and as my kids say "yuckie."

Good Luck!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 21

I do roll with flour, just a tiny amount. It really doesn't make the cookies yucky! icon_lol.gif

I've tried the other methods here and just find them too fussy. I also use the rings on the rolling pin and really like those, and ensure I don't re-roll more than three times to keep the cookies from getting tough.

bellabiaggio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabiaggio Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 21

Before chilling my dough, I put a glob on a piece of wax paper, cover it with another and roll to the desired thickness. Then I put the covered dough on a cookie sheet and put it in the freezer. I do it in batches and by the time that I am done, the first batch that I put in is ready to be cut. I peel off the top piece of wax paper and sprinkle a little flour on it. Flip the dough on to that sheet and peel off the other. Start cutting away and re-roll any scraps. It seems long, but its really not and all of the cookies come out great. Good luck!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Yes I understand how ridiculous $75 is for a cake toy. But I came to own one of these and there could not be a better friend to cookie makers other than automatic machinery.

http://www.kitchenfriendly.com/

The rubber bands on the ends of the rolling pins are nice but the dobord is the king daddy of cookie cruise control.

The Dobord is definitely on my wish list! I may just have to splurge and get one. I see they are carried ar Sur La Table...woo hoo...there's one in town!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #11 of 21

What I have been doing - when I'm NOT busy with orders, baking a variety of cut outs. I mainly use rounds and hearts. I freeze them, that way when I do get slammed - it's less work, less stress. They taste the same as fresh baked once thawed.

Like mentioned - rolling out between waxed paper helps alot. You dont need extra flour for that.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 21

I just make sure that my counter surface is lightly floured, and as i'm rolling it out i turn it frequently to make sure it's not sticking..if it is add more flour underneath. I also lightly flour my rolling pin. I use a silicone pin and LOVE it!!! It really reduces sticking, found it at homesense for something like 20.00canadian.
Before you cut the shapes, lightly dip your cutter into flour and go to town. Like others have said a well chilled dough is easiest to work with.
Nothing simpler than that. I can't be bothered with wax paper, saran wrap etc..Too many steps. After you do enough cookies you will be able to eyeball the thickness without use of dowels too. Happy baking.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 21

I would suggest cutting sheets of parchment to fit your baking sheets, rolling dough onto them, cut out shapes, remove excess dough, slide parchment onto cake board with cut out shapes still on them and pop the entire thing into freezer...when sheets of dough are frozen, simply stack them atop each other(don't do this until they're frozen though). When ready to bake, simply put a sheet of cut-outs onto your baking sheets...put remaining sheets back into freezer until ready for another round. Try to keep dough slightly chilled while rolling..reduces stickiness...use a sheet of parchment on top of dough while rolling. Watch for 'hitchikers' on the bottoms of sheets when removing them from the freezer :-0 .
This way, you can make up batches when you have time.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:57pm
post #14 of 21

For each recipe of cookie dough I use a 2 gal. zip lock bag. Then it's easy to just lay in the frig or freezer to chill the dough. No muss. No fuss!

Beth in KY

bethola Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 21

For each recipe of cookie dough I use a 2 gal. zip lock bag. Then it's easy to just lay in the frig or freezer to chill the dough. No muss. No fuss!

Beth in KY

bethola Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:59pm
post #16 of 21

Beth in KY

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 12:12am
post #17 of 21

I use jellyroll sheets for baking.
so I roll the fresh (warm) dough between a silpat and a piece of parchment paper, then pick it up and put it on the sheet and into the frig to chill.
(the frig that I have now is exactly the width of my cookie sheets, so they go into the grooves like any other shelf in the there)
I roll extra dough between to pieces of parchment and stick in a ziploc bag to put in the frig.

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:53pm
post #18 of 21

Does anyone have a good cookie recipe to use? I made my cookie pops last night and wasn't that impressed with the taste. Once you put the icing on them they taste much better, however, I would like them to be yummy without icing!!!

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #19 of 21

I love the NFSC recipe, which I won the IN state fair contest with (taste and decorations)
It does need the icing, but the icing is so sweet I think that the cookie needs a more subtle taste
For a stand alone sugar cookie, I'd look for a traditional buttery cookie or spritz cookie - I like the one that came with my mixer, but I don't have it with me

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:42pm
post #20 of 21

I like Penny's cookie recipe.. it makes a better cookie than the NFSC in my opinion and you don't have to chill it. As for rolling them out. I do it between sheets of parchment paper (waxed paper works great too). I use dowels on either side to roll my rolling pin over so that my dough is completely even.

I like not using flour because then you don't change the consistency of your dough as you roll it out and you can re-roll it and have the cookies be the same flavor and texture. icon_smile.gif

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:03pm
post #21 of 21

I use parchment paper top and bottom and than two dowels on each side so they are all the same size!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%