Freezing Cakes...?

Decorating By AlixsCakes Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 10:30pm by AlixsCakes

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:01am
post #1 of 7

Hello again everyone.

You've all been so helpful to this newbie...I have another question I'm requesting your advice on.

How do you feel about freezing cakes before icing them? I have a 3 tier chocolate wedding cake to make in the first week of Janary and, as I work full time, I'm a bit worried that I'm going to struggle to make all the cakes a day or so before (especially as I have never made a stacked cake before so I'm going to have to take it slowly!)

I could make some of the cakes in advance, freeze them and then defrost them for decorating, but I'm worried about how this could affect the taste.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks again
Alix

6 replies
paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:22am
post #2 of 7

freeze mine all the time, it actually seems to make them moister.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:25am
post #3 of 7

I have frozen cakes before and it has came out well for me. I use about 8 layers of foil so that it won't get freezer burn. That is probably a bit excessive but that is the last think I want is a freezer burned cake. Some people say that when you take them out of the freezer allow them to come back to room temperature before icing. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't (I'll probably get in trouble for that) Just kidding. The times that I have frozen them I get comments that it is so moist etc. Of course by the time the cake gets served it has already completely defrosted. Of course make sure that there is nothing in the freezer that it can absorb the taste of . HTH

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:36am
post #4 of 7

I freeze just about all of my cakes. It makes them very moist and I have found that it makes them easier to torte and frost as well (if you do this while slightly frozen) also I carve all my shaped/3D cakes and carve them while slightly frozen too...You will be fine. Just be sure to wrap them in saran wrap and foil...

PatrysV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatrysV Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:57am
post #5 of 7

I freeze almost all of my cakes as well! Last one was frozen for a month!!! icon_redface.gif
But, although everybody say "wrap in layers of foil" etc....I don't.
Normally I just put them in a freezer bag, press out most of the air - and into the freezer. Sometimes I would wrap in one layer of clingwrap (saran), but that is only if it is to big for the plastic bag.
O, and I freeze as soon as possible out of the oven - I don't let it cool to much before I freeze.

thumbs_up.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 9:57am
post #6 of 7

Hi, when I get busy, I freeze my cakes. Once I froze a cake with the filling too. You need to wrap it very well. I wrap them with saran wrap first, then foil and then put them in a freezer bag too. When you want to thaw them, don't remove the wrap. Put it in the fridge the night before you decorate with wraping. Like everybody else has said, you will get a really moist cake and you don't need to worry about the taste as there won't be any change to the taste. icon_biggrin.gif

AlixsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlixsCakes Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 7

icon_smile.gif Brilliant - Once again, thank you so much for your help, expertise and reassurance. That's such a relief; I'll let you know how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%