Is It Possible To Dry Sugar?

Baking By jlh Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 3:14pm by -K8memphis

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:56am
post #1 of 7

Is it possible to remove the moisture from sugar? I colored some table sugar with the wilton color. I'm trying to make sprinkles for my son's class. They need a ton of sprinkles and the class budget doesn't permit. So, can I get the moisture out of the sugar? It's stuck together right now. Thanks.

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 7

I've colored sugar many times and it never needed drying out. Of course I don't know what your lump of sugar looks like now but I'm thinking you added too much color? Could you add more sugar to thin it out?

But yes you can spread it on a sheet pan and it should/might get sandy again. Can you just smush it apart--y'know like a regular sugar clump??

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 7

I know what you mean - it happened to me once. Maybe you could as jlh said spread it out on a cookie sheet and it will dry. Or maybe you could put it into a warm oven (not hot so it melts) and it may dry faster. Otherwise you are going to order it online or get it at Michaels already colored. BTW, does anyone have tips on how to color sugar?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 7

You can color a small amount with a spoon in a bowl--just keep mashing it in.

If I was doing a big batch I would put it in a wide bowl and rub the color in with my gloved hands.

Paste color.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 7

I throw some sugar in a plastic bag, add coloring and then shake and rub together....

No mess, no colored hands.

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 7

I wasn't done oops

I would just add a drop...mix. If needs more color, add another drop...and so on.

To dry sugar, spread apart on cookie sheet and either put in a warm (not hot) oven, or if you have a dehydrator, place the sheet over the top. Watch and shake often.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 7

Plastic bag-- good idea.

I mean I never took the time to dry it I just made it, used it and then covered the bowl with plastic wrap if I had leftover or to store it. I never dried it unless I was making sugar bells or something like that.

(Except for the op who maybe used too much food color) Why are we drying it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%