Directions For Star Cutter Tree? Help...

Baking By Jopalis Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 5:49am by Jopalis

Jopalis Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:29am
post #1 of 10

Hello. I have a set of 6 graduated star cutters by Wilton. I was thinking of making a gingerbread tree with them but not sure how many of each size, etc. Are there any directions out there that someone knows about? Thanks.

9 replies
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:55am
post #2 of 10

Any way you want. One of each size works, but I put MMs between the layers then to give more height. It is really better to do two of each size and criss cross as you stack. Again, great height and stability if you insert a candy spacer, and alos for "drippy" snow that looks great...

HTH Rita

Bijoudelanuit Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 10

I love the ideas of the M&Ms for height! I've used sugar cubes /blocks before... but the M&M is such a better idea! Thanks for sharing it icon_smile.gif

bambuf Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 10

The M&M spacers is a fabulous idea! Those trees are so time consuming, though I always seem to keep making them. It is probably because my mom and I used to make them together as a child and I just kept it going. I will say, though, that the old Wilton instructions always called for three of each size, but I have made small versions with just two or one. Have fun baking!

firehorse Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 10

This sounds so cute! I'm trying to picture it. does someone have a picture?

Jopalis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:44am
post #6 of 10

Thank you so much. Trying to decide whether to make one or not. Are they actually eaten or are they pretty much a decoration like a gingerbread house? Do folks take them apart and eat them? I guess if it was wrapped up in clear celophane as a gift it might stay a bit fresh...?
I saw one site that said to run a dowel through all the cookies and into a centerboard...??

I like the idea of candy spacers.

Jopalis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:49am
post #7 of 10

Firehorse.... here is one I found on CC gallery... There are others. You can do them in sugar cookies or gingerbread or... This person decided to totally ice each cookie. Looks pretty....

paste that in url... if you can't click on it.

firehorse Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:52am
post #8 of 10

thanks for the link! It's really cute but looks like a lot of work...

johnson6ofus Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:01am
post #9 of 10

Thanks about the MMs. I found them to be the perfect height. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Cookies will stay fresher if you ice tops and bottoms. I ice bottoms, let dry, ice bottoms. let dry... FREEZE. Then stack up and assemble and decorate as needed. 4-6 days seems to be ok.

Jopalis Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 5:49am
post #10 of 10

Johnson... I know you meant ice the bottoms and then tops or vice versa. What do you ice with RI? and you freeze it? Then stack? Also...what kind of cookie do you use? Sugar or gingerbread? Are they really stiff cookies? Does anyone try to keep fresh or eat them?

Quote by @%username% on %date%