Help With Black Buttercream Icing

Decorating By Debster287 Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 1:36am by Kiddiekakes

Debster287 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debster287 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:43am
post #1 of 8

I am wondering what I am doing wrong. It seems that when I decorated w/black buttercream icing, the next day it has leaked around the edges. None of my other colors seem to do that just the black leaves a redish tint around it. What can I do? Thanks for your help. icon_cry.gif

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:46am
post #2 of 8

Has your base icing crusted first? I find if the base icing has crusted (i.e. "dried"), then there's no color bleeding. Wet will bleed onto wet.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:01am
post #3 of 8

I found out the hard way that some black colors from certain companies tend to leak..Wich company color are you using?
Edna

Debster287 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debster287 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 8

I am using the wilton colors. I have not had any trouble with the other colors. Thanks for your advice. I will also try to let the base frosting tint first.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 8

I know as a fact that chefmaster wont leak..
Edna

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:12am
post #6 of 8

I dont know how much you need, but with black I find it much easier to use the ready made wilton black tube-they dont bleed as well and are a much nicer black.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

I start with chocolate buttercream and add chef master black, I never have a bleeding issue with their gel colors, and my BC doesn't ever crust.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 1:36am
post #8 of 8

Americolor Super black doesn't leak either...or at least I have never had it run!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%