Suppliers In Central Ohio

Business By eaj43081 Updated 29 Dec 2008 , 8:12pm by indydebi

eaj43081 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:26am
post #1 of 11

First off I would like to introduce myself to the community. I have been decorating cakes for a little less than a year and due the responces that I have received I am lookin to open a store front in the next six months. I wanted to do it out of my house but due to pets in the house I'm unable so I'm looking to open up a shop around 1500sqft with kitchen and decorating in back with small counter for cupcakes and other desserts and a few table and chairs in front.

So my question is who do you use for your suppliers? I'm looking for equipment (new or used)as well as material/ingredients so any information that is given (even if its just advice) is greatly appreciated. Also if the suppiers use credit or cash up front or how they would like payment.

Thanks everyone for your responses in advance.

10 replies
barbaranoel Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:35am
post #2 of 11

Where are you located at exactly?

eaj43081 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:37am
post #3 of 11

Westerville, Ohio

Loucinda Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 11

Restaurant Supply on W. Broad for equipment

Cake Craft on Cleveland Ave.
Happy Hostess off of Steltzer Rd.

Good Luck!

CreationsByCaryl Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 11

You're killing me ! I'm FROM westerville !

I WOULD NEVER EVER EVER buy stuff from HH or CC to supply out a shop. The mark up for you to the customer would be idiotic. You need wholesale, not retail.

For equipment, Honestly, check out Mendelson's Outlet in Dayton. Stainless countertops, ovens, and other professional sized gear. As for ordering in boxes and boards.....My brain can't remember who I got my boxes from in bulk. Crap. Sorry. It's been too long since I had to go in the 100s for boxes.

Another more local idea, but I don't think they carry used is Wasserstroms just north of the Soccer Fields/Fairgrounds off 71 south. I used to get most of my smaller supplies/ pans, rollers, etc from them.

PM me and I'll shoot you to our local (mostly Ohian) cake bakers website.

eaj43081 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 11

I would prefer wholesale and used equipment first but if I need to I would buy new.

Thanks for the ideas thou, even websites would help.

smab109 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 11

Check out auctions in the area. One place to start: bidfta.com

classiccake Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 11

When I started, I went to auctions and bought all my equipment used. I would never buy new equipment to start up. Stainless steel last forever and is so much cheaper used. Buy the biggest mixers, ovens, etc that you can afford. A bigger mixer saves employee hours.

Bakemark is in Cincinnati and ships bakery supplies (Food items) all over. I use them even in IN. You have to fill out a credit application. I always pay COD onall my shipments, becasue I hate dealing with even more bills and when they are due...one less thing to worry about.

CK Products is in IN but ships all over. They are good for pans, boards, boxes, etc. They have an online site.

Good Luck, and be prepared to work hard!

indydebi Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 10:35pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccake

I always pay COD onall my shipments, becasue I hate dealing with even more bills and when they are due...one less thing to worry about.

Boy, me too!!! Plus it's nice to know that the money in the bank is mine and isn't earmarked for supplier payments.

Restaurant Equippers in Cincinnati is good. I've bought a lot of my smallwares from them. Their shipping is really inexpensive.
http://www.equippers.com/

jolmk Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 4:28pm
post #10 of 11

There is a Restaurant Equippers in Columbus. It's at 635 W. Broad St. I would start there they have new an used equipment.

Jo

indydebi Posted 29 Dec 2008 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 11

jolmk, you're right .... they are in Columbus, not Cincinnati! icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%