Sculpture

Decorating By gales Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 7:50pm by gales

gales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gales Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 7

How do I make a sculpture using rice crispie treats. I know how to make them and that some people crush them to make them smoother. What do I do then, shape them with a knife, mould them by hand? Do I need to put in supports for a structure between 6 - 8" tall? How do I cover the structure prior to icing? I am in England, we dont have candy melts or commercially produced rice krispie treats but can buy rice crispies and marshmallows.
Will melted chocolate be OK to cover? Can I cover the structure in fondant icing? These techniques that seem common on this site are not so common in Britain so I'm sorry if I am asking obvious questions.

6 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:09am
post #2 of 7

I only used the RKT once, for the top of my mushroom house on the fairy cake. I shaped them while still warm, I then covered them with a light coat of BC and then applied the fondant. It worked great and stayed in place and everyone loved eating the RKT. I have seen on the Food Network challenge them covering the RKT in moldeling chocolate. I haven't tried that yet though. Good luck!

meliais Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meliais Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:36am
post #3 of 7

i also have a looot of questions about rkt.
Last week i made a mickey mouse cake, and i use rkt for the head, it was my firts time using rkt....I crushed rk before mix them in the marshmallows, to make it smooth(right or wrong?) i worked with rkt when still warm but they doesn't get hard, they were always soft (why?)
Maybe is because of the crushed rice krispies....i don't know.But i was like waiting for them to get hard.......that doesnt happen.
I put a thin layer of bc before fondant, not too much.For the ears i just put a little bit of water before fondant.I think water was better than bc......
finally i put the head on the cake with a dowel and it works just fine, i dont know if this is the right way to work with rkt, but here is the result.....
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1293592

Please rkt experts, come and help us!

gales Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 8:45am
post #4 of 7

Thanks to both of you for your comments and sharing your experiences. I have been waiting for a book from Amazon for 5 weeks on Cake cartooning but it hasn't arrived yet! The cake has to be ready for Thursday and I am going to have to wing it like you have done. I know there are lots of CCers out there who use RCT in this way but they dont seem to have read this post.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:10am
post #5 of 7

I've never worked w/the stuff myself but the other day I saw an old challenge on FoodNetwork. One gal wasmaking an animal w/it. She had molded it in a flower pot looking container; removed & carved a bit w/a knife. They she worked it w/her hands befor covering it w/fondant.
Of course, they only show a few brief seconds of this work but thought the info ,might help you.

gales Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 11:13am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for your help kakeladi, I wonder if I can get on to food network and see it

gales Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:50pm
post #7 of 7

meliais, thatnks for your pm. Ive tries to reply with a pm twice tonight but something is preventing it from happening, anyway, thanks for replying. I'll watch your gallery photos as they come in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%