I've Been Using 0 Transfat Shortening

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 4:42pm by slb1956

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 14

So, I just noticed that the shortening that I always use, Walmart brand, has 0 trans fat. I've always been relatively happy with my buttercream. I make the Wilton recipe. Crusts great, tastes great....
So, I need to go get some shortening in a little bit, and want to get with transfat like everyone in here swears by.

Question is....if I have been happy this whole time with what I thought was transfat shortening, what improvements, if any am I going to have by switching over? Anyone have any idea?

13 replies
3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 14

Maybe instead of buying shortening with transfat....buy some BUTTER>

Butter is natural, has a lower melting temperature and better mouthfeel. I know some people swear by high-ratio shortening, but start thinking along the lines of long-term effect, and possibly...long-term availability.

There is a reason they have outlawed trans-fat. Not that I am for outlawing food stuffs...but the trans fats are pretty notorious. Aside from that, if they outlaw them altogether, you'll have to scramble to find your alternative.

Try half Crisco, half butter to start out with...I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 14

If it aint borke don't need to fix it.

I too am using no transfat shortening and have had mixed results.
If you can find any w/fat why not try it to see if you like the results or if there is any difference.
I was certainly a Crisco fan but when everyone started having trouble w/it I tried the WalMart brand GV w/o looking at the lable. Now I realize it is no transfaticon_sad.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 14

If I'm reading your post correctly, you want to keep using the 0 trans fat shortening. If you're happy with the results, that's what you want. You don't want to start using the type with trans fats...those are the killers and what everyone is trying to get away from.

__Jamie__ Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 14

If it ain't broke don't fix it....yeah, I'm thinking the saaaame thing. Thanks!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 14

I never even noticed the switch to zero-trans-fat in crisco. DIdn't know there was an issue until I read about it. My icing works fine.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:07am
post #7 of 14

Zero trans fat here with no issues. By the way... Jamie, I love your avatar!! Hee Hee Hee!! (My motto as well!)

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 2:48am
post #8 of 14

I've been using zero transfats from the get-go without any problems either thumbs_up.gif

BrendaS104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrendaS104 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:25am
post #9 of 14

me too.. I use the wal-mart brand and haven't had any issues. My instructor told me to add an extra tablespoon of water to a double batch. It doesn't seem like alot, but it makes a difference with the trans fat free stuff.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:50am
post #10 of 14

umm...I used Walmart brand shortening the other day and I added everything like i normally do and it had NO flavor!! I was soo disappointed and upset because these were cupcakes for new classmates and potential new customers and it didn't taste like anything. so, i will never be using it again icon_razz.gif but yea..if you like it..don't fix it! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 14

Lots of different opinions...cool! So, update. Lol, should have followed kakeladi's advice. I don't know if it was the particular brand of shortening I bought last night, or the fact that it had transfat....but the buttercream was so disgusting, I wouldn't let my dog eat it. I have been happy with the Walmart brand, so I will not do any experimenting like that ever again. So, now I have a nice blank canvas cake to decorate....but not eat! Yuch!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:36pm
post #12 of 14

I dont have problems either with the ) transfat. I think the mixture is a bit more delicate and cant be overmix. But thats in my case. I know you can bring some of the fat back using whole milk instead of water as your liquid. But then again..DONT FIX WHAT AINT BROKEN!..LOL
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

DONT FIX WHAT AINT BROKEN!..LOL
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Oh yeah...I hear ya! It's a shame that my cake can't be eaten...I guess it will just have to make a nice picture, and that's all. Of course...I could pick the frosting off I guess. What a shame. icon_biggrin.gif

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 14

Somewhere I read or heard to replace transfats in Crisco was to mix equal parts of powdered coffee creamer and water together Make sure you add to hot water then let it cool before adding to icing recipe and add that amount of liquid that the recipe calls for to the icing recipe. For the life of me tho I can't remember where I read or heard this information..maybe someone else can help give credit to whomever discovered this..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%