Just A Depressing Cake Weekend...

Decorating By shalderman Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 4:48am by KitchenKat

shalderman Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 11

Here I was all excited to have two cakes but it didn't turn out so great. Fortunately no disasters but...ugh... The first one was a 4 tier anniversary cake that was a replica of the couple's wedding cake ... BUT they got married in 1968. The cake was SO completely not my style... I find it hard to get my heart into it when it goes against everything I know is right icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

I think it turned out ok but I sure didn't "like" it you know... So that was done and out the door Sat morning and then I baked another for a 60th bday. It was themed after a nfl team - well basically had the logo and the team colors. But she wanted a sheet cake...iced white...with a border and writing. Blah icon_razz.gif So I did it and did the logo in a royal icing plaque which turned out cool...did a dual colored shell border which turned out neat. But then the writing...oh why must people want all that writing on the cake!!! That's when it went downhill since my writing isn't great icon_sad.gif

In the end I'm just blah blah blah about these cakes and I hope she likes this one. She's used to just getting one from Walmart or wherever and I wanted to show her how much better custom caking can be...ugh...but then again you have to give them what they ask for! I personally would have tricked it out with tiers and stuff. but oh well icon_smile.gif

Just wanted to let off my steam LOL I know some of you will understand the blahness you feel of doing something that is not "you". I'll add the pics so you can see them as I'm not posting them in My Photos.

10 replies
3GCakes Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 11

Both cakes look good to me.

You really can't complain when you please the customer. THey want what they want.

kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 11

You did a good job on both of them. If the customer is pleased you have done your job wellicon_smile.gif

IcedTea4Me2 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 11

icon_sad.gif I understand exactly how you feel. I am mostly doing cakes for family and friends at the moment, but I hope to expand out as I get more experience. Even at this stage I don't like doing what I consider "ugly" cakes. Now, I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that my opinion/taste is no better or worse than theirs - just different. It just saps the joy out of doing the cake when you don't even like it to begin with!
This is something I need to get used to, I suppose. I still have this feeling that each one is my little creation (my baby, so to speak) but I need to get over that and get more in a service mode.

Malakin Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 11

Boy, do I totally understand ya! Why do they always ask for round, always ask for white BC, always want white cake, always no decorations??? I don't think there is a single photo in my gallery of anything I like that I fixed for someone else. Which is just about all of them. My taste is nothing like any of them except the chocolate rose one.
One of these days, someone is going to tell me, "Well just do what you think would be nice"....!!!! Then maybe I can impress someone including myself.

tarheelgirl Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 11

First off.. the cakes are great! You did great on both of them. I can see why you think they were blahhh... looking at your other photos.. WOW those are spectacular!! Sheet cakes are sooo boring to me. But, if that is what the customer wants that's what they will get. As long as they were happy that is the most important thing.

indydebi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalderman

The cake was SO completely not my style... I find it hard to get my heart into it when it goes against everything I know is right icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Against everything you KNOW is right? icon_confused.gif You re-created the wedding cake for a couple that managed to stay married for 40 years .... a very significant accomplishment these days. I don't think I'd be arrogant enough to even voice my personal opinion that the wedding cake they shared 40 years ago was "not right".

Quote:

But then the writing...oh why must people want all that writing on the cake!!! That's when it went downhill since my writing isn't great icon_sad.gif

Because they want to commemorate and document a very special event in their family member's life.

You do beautiful work ... I should ever be so blessed to be able to make cakes as great as yours. So I do understand your frustration at such "simple" cakes. But I also think you should post these cakes AND the stories that go with them. Re-creating a 40 year cake for an anniversary is an awesome thing to be able to do, regardless of what you think of the style that was around then (probably before you were born? icon_biggrin.gif ).

What do *I* consider a "blah" cake? The short, squatty little stacked cakes with scrolls and ribbon that are so "in" today. Geesh, how no-talent do you have to be to create one of those! (said in fun and jest so don't anyone get their panties in a bunch! icon_razz.gif ). But it pays the rent and it pays it well, so I pump them out just as often as a bride requests them!

My personal taste has nothing to do with their's. When I change my name to Picassso, then I'll be picky about what people pay me to make! icon_biggrin.gif

sari66 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 12:29am
post #8 of 11

I agree with debi what's wrong with recreating a cake that a couple first had 40 years ago?! It's impressive and special and I for one would have been honored to make their cake no matter what it looked like!
As for writing it's not bad, I've seen worse and if you dont like it practise to make it better!

shalderman Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

The cake was SO completely not my style... I find it hard to get my heart into it when it goes against everything I know is right icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Against everything you KNOW is right? icon_confused.gif You re-created the wedding cake for a couple that managed to stay married for 40 years .... a very significant accomplishment these days. I don't think I'd be arrogant enough to even voice my personal opinion that the wedding cake they shared 40 years ago was "not right".

Oh no I didn't mean it like that - I completely understand the significance and special meaning of it. I think its wonderful and was a special thing to do for this awesome event! What I mean is doing that style of cake just feels wrong since I'm so used to doing a much different style icon_smile.gif I hope that makes sense? I didn't mean it in any bad way towards their cake or choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:

But then the writing...oh why must people want all that writing on the cake!!! That's when it went downhill since my writing isn't great icon_sad.gif

Because they want to commemorate and document a very special event in their family member's life.

You do beautiful work ... I should ever be so blessed to be able to make cakes as great as yours. So I do understand your frustration at such "simple" cakes. But I also think you should post these cakes AND the stories that go with them. Re-creating a 40 year cake for an anniversary is an awesome thing to be able to do, regardless of what you think of the style that was around then (probably before you were born? icon_biggrin.gif ).

LOL yeah I was born about 9 yrs after their marriage! icon_lol.gif I appreciate your opinion that I should post them...I think I will definitely post the anniversary one. I was more against that 2nd one cause my skills were not so great on it. Though I was freaking happy that my corners turned out so great - I am still trying to conquer those square corners icon_biggrin.gif

So I guess there is good in all things... and each cake is certainly an experience.

shalderman Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:32am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

I don't think there is a single photo in my gallery of anything I like that I fixed for someone else. Which is just about all of them. My taste is nothing like any of them except the chocolate rose one.
One of these days, someone is going to tell me, "Well just do what you think would be nice"....!!!! Then maybe I can impress someone including myself.

Yes I found most of the cakes I love best of mine are ones where they may have said "I like these colors or this type of theme" and let me do as I please! icon_smile.gif

KitchenKat Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:48am
post #11 of 11

I think you did a great job!

As I cake designer, I enjoy the challenge of a more complicated cake BUT, for my own dessert, my second choice would be a plain, white frosted cake. First choice will ALWAYS be chocolate cake with ganache frosting. LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%