Shortening - How To Translate?

Decorating By BlueP Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 5:12pm by liapsim

BlueP Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 6

Hello from Croatia! Please advise what is the difference between butter and shortening? It is quite confusing in recipes..thanks

5 replies
bisbqueenb Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to the group!

Butter is a dairy product and shortening is a vegetable product. Butter is more likely to be soft at room temperature and usually requires refrigeration for longer shelf life. Shortening, depending on the kind, is a more solid product that does not require refrigeration and is made out of a lot of different vegetable products.

Frankyola Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 6

Welcome to the BEST WEBSITE EVER Bluep. (In my opinion)

What busbqueenb said it is totally right, she gave you a really good description about shortening and butter thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif , what I can add to add to that it is htat Butter has more watter than shortening, 1 cup of crisco (shortening) + 6 teaspoon of watter = 1 cup of butter or margarine.. acording to the crisco shortening brand.

I hope this can help you. thumbs_up.gif

BlueP Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks girls! icon_smile.gif

unfortunately we dont have crisco (not under that name) in our stores, but if i mix something between vegetable fat and normal butter, maybe it will come out ok.

this website rules, it is indeed higly adictiveicon_smile.gif))

JanH Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 6

Hi and Welcome to CC, BlueP. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Defining "shortening" as used in baking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortening

HTH

liapsim Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:12pm
post #6 of 6

So you know as well, butter has a yellow tint, while shortening is white. So if you are making buttercream icing....people usually prefer it white, unless you are needing to color it....Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%