Help! Winter Is Here!

Decorating By Boofycakes Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 11:45pm by SILVERCAT

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 20

Winter is here, the weather is cold and dry. And it is taking a toll on my best tools of the trade, MY HANDS! I am a baker, decorator AND an artist. My hands are constantly underwater from washing, cleaning, dishes...you name it! My hands are typically dry from washing, but winter in Chicago makes it especially bad! I don't want to hand over another cake to a customer with ugly hands! PLEASE HELP!

What hand creams/body lotions do you recommend? I feel like I've tried everything from Avon, to Burt's Bees, to Jergen's, to Vaseline... etc. Some I've noticed work better than others, but remember, I'm a starving artist here! Ironic since I'm a baker.... but I cant afford $20 bottles of lotion! I want the most bang for the buck. Any tried and true favorites? And how about soaps?

Thanks in advance!

19 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 20

Wear gloves to give your hands a break?

I like the cream that's for Norwegian fishermen.

Natalie in Calgary, where it's -29 centigrade today, -39 with the wind chill. Winter is most definitely here!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 20

Although I have not tried it myself, I've heard nothing but the highest of praise for Corn Husker's Lotion:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SY24C0/?tag=cakecentral-20

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 20

I like the hand lotions from Bath-n-Body Works. They have a specific lotion (in blue bottle) for hands, but I like the "Lay it on Thick" - it goes on and doesn't leave that greasy feeling on your hands. They range from $12-20 per bottle but last forever and ever and ever!! I live in central PA and winter has been rolling in the past few weeks. I have red, dry hands (lovely looking) due to washing, etc. -- I just whip out my secret weapon (lotion above) and they look better. An associate even told me to put it on my hands before bed and wear a cotton sock so it soaks up without coming off on clothes, etc. I have yet to try this, but may be an idea for you!! HTH!! thumbs_up.gif
~ Jaime

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 20

Hi Boofycakes,

Id use plastic gloves for washing dishes it takes a while to get use to, but it will be worth it.

I use Aveeno "Stress Relief" icon_cry.gif moisturizer lotion for everyday, around $7 at Walmart.

Tammy

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 20

When my hands are so dry they start to get chapped, crack and bleed (I live in the Chicago area also), I put Neosporin on them before bed with cotton socks/gloves over them. I also try to use a sugar scrub on them every other day--doesn't sting as much as a salt one. You can just mix sugar and olive oil--works great.

HTH

Sheryl

keyshia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keyshia Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 20

My son has severe eczema which only gets worse at night. They used to have me use Eucerine CREAM (not lotion) on him, thickly and then cover with slightly damp jammies...I know that sounds gross, but when your baby is bleeding from cracks in their skin, you do anything (I've also been told to try cricso!)

Now that we're in Utah, with the cold and snowy weather, the doctor here said they found Aquaphor to stay on the skin better. Both of those leave a greasy afterfill, so I'd try using them with some of those manicure cotton gloves over (or socks)

You could also try Bag Balm. It's originally used for dry cow udders, but they sell it in the pharmacy section of your stores...it's awesome for feet too if you put it on generously and then put socks over.

ummm...my last suggestion would be Extra Emollient Night Cream from Mary Kay...it's pretty awesome stuff, and if you wanted, they sell it in a set called...Satin hands (sorry for the...had to think of the name). It includes a scrub that will take off the excess dry skin.

Sorry for the long response, but wanted to give you some options. I think of it all, Bag Balm would be the cheapest, I think a tin (which goes a LONG way) is only like $3-$4. icon_smile.gif

Good luck.

Keyshia (from freezing, 20 degree utah WITH 8 in of snow! yay us *insert sarcasm here)

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 20

Wear rubber gloves of some kind when your hands are in water...just make yourself do it. I cannot STAND the feeling of rubber gloves for any length of time, so I buy the thin white cotton gloves from the pharmacy (they are cheap). I wear these under my rubber gloves, and it makes all the difference! Anytime my hands are gonna be in water, or any kind of cleaning solution, on go the thin cotton gloves and rubber ones over them.

I put vaseline on my hands...generously...in the evening...and put a pair of the thin white cotton gloves over them. I only wear this for about an hour every evening, while I'm reading and/or watching tv. You could wear these to bed...but it bugged me, so I don't. I also put vaseline all over my feet and slip on some white cotton socks at the same time...makes for soft heels and feet. The vaseline absorbs in the skin and you can take off the cotton gloves...your hands feel wonderful.

It is a bit of a hassle until you get in the routine...and your skin will thank you for it, trust me.

Lotions can be nice...but those that contain any form of alcohol (and many do)...will not do long term benefit to really dry skin. Cetaphil is a good derm recommended lotion...but it's a little pricey. It works, though. But, for heavy duty treatment...vaseline does the trick...and cheaply.

HTH,
Carla thumbs_up.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 20

I am going to try Lansinoh. It is pure Lanolin. I used it when I was nursing my little ones. That stuff is awesome. ALTHOUGH it is thick, slightly greasy, and expsneisve as get out, it works wonders!

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 20

I agree with Carla - and sometimes the basic stuff is the best! Also, if you have olive oil - and NOT the expensive stuff - it is wonderful for the skin. That, while you're in the kitchen, or a little shortening, and rubber gloves while you're washing up, and Vaseline with cotton gloves at night - and you will see a difference in a couple of weeks. Really.

Good luck!

sheeza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheeza Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by saap1204

When my hands are so dry they start to get chapped, crack and bleed (I live in the Chicago area also), I put Neosporin on them before bed with cotton socks/gloves over them. I also try to use a sugar scrub on them every other day--doesn't sting as much as a salt one. You can just mix sugar and olive oil--works great.

HTH

Sheryl

I had a similar problem , my hands would crack and bleed. but using polysporin and cotton gloves did the trick. once the skin gets better continue using any hand cream and wear cotton gloves to bed every day.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:47pm
post #12 of 20

I recently read to gently pat your hands dry. It takes a bit longer, but I did it for a few days, and it's really helped. I realized I was rubbing my hands quite briskly on cotton towels, even though I never thought I was.

Hope you find some remedies soon -- I have sensitive skin (in a cold, cold climate) too!

slope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slope Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:57pm
post #13 of 20

I use St Ives Collagen Elastin Moisturizer, its in a pink bottle in the face lotion section at Walmart. It's about $3 for a bottle and alittle bit goes a long way. I am a WI baker and I know what you mean about ugly dry hands all winter. I use this lotion on my face and started using it on my hands last winter and within two nights noticed a huge difference. Now it is all that I use.

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 1:57pm
post #14 of 20

Gold Bond Ultimate healing with aloe. I put it on at night before I go to bed. My DH swears by the Gold Bond in the green bottle but I think it stinks. It works though. You can feel it working as soon as you put it on.

HTH
Jen

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:01pm
post #15 of 20

Do you have a heating pad? If so, you might try this - one hand at a time - coat your hand in Vaseline, Crisco, olive oil, or a thick moisturizer like Eucerin cream, then wrap it in a bit of plastic wrap and wrap the warm heating pad around it. Let it sit for about 10 minutes.

If you don't have a heating pad, put a towel in the dryer and get it good and warm.

Works well for feet, too!

Good luck, sweetie!

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:05pm
post #16 of 20

Norwegian hand cream from neurtogena works wonders for putting moisture back into your skin, and quick. With out making your hands feeling all greasy. It's a small tube, but it will last a while. Cost around 4.00 at walmart.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:09pm
post #17 of 20

I like the Gold Bond lotions. I buy it in the pump bottle for winter. I keep a bottle of Johnson's Baby Lotion in my car to use after hand washings when I'm out and about. I always try and put lotion on before I put gloves on because they soothe and keep them moisturized while in gloves.

I wear playtex gloves when washing dishes and last year I switched back to plain old Dawn original dish soap, to get away from all the additives like bleach etc etc.

I use the gold bond at night and cotton gloves when my hands get bad. You can get used to them fast when your hands hurt and itch. One more thing I find soo useful is a parafin bath. Costly at first but such a worthwhile and soothing investment. They are around $36 at Wal mart. Sometimes I do both of my hands and go to bed with the wax on, my hands in plastic bags of course. I use a good lotion under the wax and it works great.

Hope this helps someone.
Carol

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:13pm
post #18 of 20

I feel your pain...........literally. Besides baking I'm a hairstylist whose hands are in water all day washing heads.
For about $20 you can purchase a "Parafin Wax" hand unit.

I have one at the Salon and one at home. Each night when I return home I plug it in to melt the parafin and dip each of my hands. It comes with plastic bags and warm mits which you place your hands into after dipping. The parafin heals and adds moisture back to your hands, after just 1 treatment you will notice a difference.

When I retire for the night, I slather my hands with $.99 petroleum jelly (vaseline) and than slip them into white cotton gloves that I bought at the drugstore for about $1 (in the bandage aisle). When you wake up your hands feel great.

There really is no need to spend a lot of money on fancy hand creams. Most of the creams are loaded with fragrances, alcohol, and water, which is the worst thing for dry skin.

The parafin machine comes with enough wax to last you a couple of winters, if you're the only one using it, it may last longer. You can find them at Wal-mart or even your local pharmacy.

Good luck and give it a try, you won't be sorry.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:20pm
post #19 of 20

If you do the vaseline trick I was told to put it on after washing hands every time you wash them. You should pat your hands dry so there is a tinny bit of water still on them and then put the vaseline on. It really helps me.
I haven't had to resort to the gloves yet but I'm sure that is in my future! LOL
If you make MMF the crisco does wonders too. So just make lots of fondant this year and you will be all set! LOL
Jen...

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 11:45pm
post #20 of 20

Aquaphor with cotton socks for bedtime, it will help the first night. If they are really bad repeat every night until you are happy. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%