edible?, it saids it is non-toxic...but does that mean you shouldn't/or can eat it? Is it really just something for looks only on decorations?
Is it safe to put on cakes or cookies that are going to be eaten? I have used it once already, but it was for decoration only and the decoration wasn't going to be eaten.
I will be doing a cake for my grand daughter's (grade K) class Christmas party, and I thought the disco dust would be very pretty on the cake (iced in bc icing)...but only if it is safe and can be eaten.
Thanks for any information you could give me. Whew, all these kinds of dusts are all so beautiful, but it does worry me when it comes to being eaten. Unless they say for sure "edible" on them.
God Bless & Happy Holidays,
Yaknow, unless you're eating a cup of the stuff, and since it IS labeled non-toxic, I can't imagine it would be a problem. Crayons are non-toxic, and kids eat those.
I put it on every single cake I make, I can tell you is ok.
Weeellllllllll from everything I have read it's just like highlighter silver & gold dust. From what I have been able to learn It is made from ultra fine ground plastic....
You decied for your self. Like leahs said....unless one is eating a cupfull it most likely won't hurt the average person. There is so little of it on a serving......
I put it on all my cakes........ the customers really like it..... and it is a MUST for SNOW !! GO FOR IT !
THANK YOU!! all so very much for your replys and information. Everyone has been very helpful to me.
I think I'll will try a little of it....it does have such a pretty effect and the look will go great with the theme I am doing.
Again thanks to everyone for your help!
God Bless & Happy Holidays,
I've been wondering the same thing. Someone mentioned awhile ago that all the metallic dusts like nusilver and the golds are not edible and they contain heavy metals... however, they are all labeled non-toxic and are sold for cake decorating with no warnings anywhere about it not being edible so I assumed you could eat it all since it was sold with the intention of putting it on an edible item. The highlighting powders do say non-edible though... so you guys think it's all ok to eat? I've been hesitant to use it since most of my cakes are for kids. I even tried to find information on the net about it but couldn't find anything...
" The highlighting powders do say non-edible though... "
If it says NON-EDIBLE, then I don't think I would use it, or at least warn the buyer that it should be removed before serving......... I still think they would have to eat a TON of it before it would cause harm.......
I understand if it says non-edible, don't eat it. I wasn't clear on that.. i'm still unclear on the dusts that say non-toxic and are sold with the intention of applying them to an edible substance...are they really edible. I was just talking to my hubby about that. He emailed a couple of the companies to see if they have more documentation on it. My biggest concern is that I use alot of gold sparkle, mainly on gumpaste which no one eats. I've stopped using it on fondant since a few have mentioned that it contains heavy metal. I guess I'm just looking for something definitive that tells me it's ok to eat.
I love using it. Besides, crayons, glue, chalk, they're all non-toxic and beleive me the kids eat those also. I think I'd prefer them eating disco dust!
The NuSilver and golds etc are intended to be used *ONLY* on deocrations that are removed and not served.
Must be the kid in me. When I order something, I guinea pig taste test em first! Open up and sample right out of the shipping box. Why do they sell them without stating "not edible" then?
When I bought it the lady said that is edible and it's ok to put on cakes or cookies....so, I belive her. But, I do I wonder what they use to create the sparkle and glitter.......
Although, you only need a minimal amount to create the effect.
Well here's the most informative response... so I guess in short, they are not technically edible and those that specifically say "for decorative purposes only" are clearly not to be consumed regardless of quantity.
According to my vendor, this is what is said about Luster Dust and Petal Dust:
"Contains two or more of the following: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxide, Carmine, Mica. Not water soluble." Certain colors are for decorative use only. The colors not noted as decorative use only have no other notes attached.
Petal Dusts and Luster Dusts are referred to by my vendor as non-toxic, however this is not a food product and considered as such. Luster and Petal dusts are mainly for decorating gumpaste and fondant accents anyway.
This is all I can really tell you about these dusts. I've used the sparkle dust on cookies before and my cakes. I know of many decorators that buy and use the lusters and petal dusts on cakes, accenting, etc. with ZERO issues with any sickness, etc. I cannot give you a "yes" or "no", only what the vendor says about this product.
A BAKER'S PLACE
"Where Friendship Begins With Something Sweet"
Here's one more response too:
The types of dust that are FDA approved for consumption are called Platinum dust(they don't come in a lot of colors yet.). Also, all of the Lucks airbrush shimmer colors are food approved. The silver and gold those decorators are worried about are called highlighters -those I don't carry bacause they are inedible.
Thanks stephaniescakenj, for all the great information.
I have the Wilton Pearl Dust and they say FDA approved and are edible, plus without ordering off the internet...they are the ones I can get the fastest when needed. So far they seem to be working alright for me, just wish they had more colors.
I guess it is really up to us on what we want to put on the cakes or cookies, unless it saids "Non-edible". It seems like this is one of those things were there is a left & right, 1/2 full, 1/2 empty, the chicken first or the egg came first
Would like for you or anyone to post any new information you might get or find out about the disco/fairy dust.
Again, Thanks! to everyone for your imformation, replys and your time.
God Bless & Happy Holidays,
Yes it is exactly how you say it is...and it's really up to us on whether or not we feel safe serving this stuff and there will be opposing opinions. I think after reading all these replies that I'm comfortable putting it on my cakes. I would not use the highlighter powders or things that specifically say "non-edible" but I'm OK with the others that merely say non-toxic. I use so little of it that I don't believe it would ever harm anyone but if there were someone that I felt ate my cakes on multiple occassions througout the year I might consider limiting it. Really the only kids that would fall into that category, would be my own though.
Here's some more responses, leave it to my hubby to do a search of every distrubitor of luster dust and then send them all a mass email :
This is what the distributor states in their catalog:
Developed for the cake decorating industry, PETAL dusts contain only ingredients that are non-toxic and ideal for use with gumpaste or rolled fondant. These dusts are not a food product and should not be considered such. Intended for use in the dry form, they may also be mixed with oil based flavorings or alcohol for painting and highlighting. For a more permanent application, liquify with tylose gum glue or confectioner's glaze. LUSTER DUSTS give subtle color with a high sheen metallic-like finish. Contains 2 or more of the following: Titanium dioxide, iron oxide, carmine, mica. not water soluble. PLATINUM dusts are FDA approved for food use.
Note: We, Wine & Cake, are not responsible for how the consumer uses these. However, we have been selling these for years and have never run into problems. We have repeated customers that use these on rolled fondant, gumpaste and chocolates...with no ill results. If you wish to cover yourself...you can probably have the customer sign a waiver but assure them that is is not likely that anything will occur such as illness. Same with the metallic dragees that people have used for centuries on cookies...they carry 1 part per million mercury to give the metallic finish, but you would have to eat a bucket of them to even feel sick. FDA requires that they are labeled as "not to be used as a confection"... I believe the FDA uses this strictly as a pre-cautionery element.
Hope this info helps.
Wine & Cake Hobbies, Inc.
757.857.0245 ext. 22
Thanks for your interest in our products. Our luster dusts, along with all of the dusts except for the platinum dust, are not yet FDA approved. They are certified non-toxic and have been approved in England. However, if you are truly concerned about the legalities of the issue the products are not FDA approved. Everyone here eats items with the dust on them so we would say from a practical stand point that they are fine to consume, especially since normally you only have a very small amount on a cookie or cake. The Platinum dusts we carry are FDA approved and food safe, so you might consider using those products; unfortunately they come in a very limited selection of colors. I hope this helps and please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Country Kitchen SweetArt
Mail Order Department
4621 Speedway Drive
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
See pages 66 & 67 of the 2009 catalog. The dusts are not considered a food item.
Some are listed as non-toxic; however non of them are considered a food item.
CK Products LLC
Its just like drinking goldshlager(sp) You drink it with gold flakes, a little bit is ok