Calling All Mmf Experts! Lots Of Questions!

Decorating By Someonesmommy Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 9:33am by Frankyola

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:55am
post #1 of 7

I have alot of questions so...here goes...

1. How long can I keep a batch of MMF? Does it need to be refridgerated after awhile?

2. Will adding gumpaste to the MMF change the taste, shelf life or anything else? (I read on here that you can add a little gumpaste to make it more "stretchy", and after several failed batches of crappy cheap playdoh like MMF, I dont know what else to do.)

3. Why do some recipes for MMF call for glygerine? What does it do?

4. Is there anything else that I can do to make my MMF more pliable and stretchy and quit cracking whenever I place it on a cake?

Im so disgusted with it (the MMF) Im considering just giving up and trying to doctor up the Wiltons fondant till it tastes good. (HAH...if thats possible!) I'm only making cakes for my family right now and don't really want to pay for Satin Ice.

Thank you guys for all your help. You are such a big help to a newbie.

6 replies
stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 7:41am
post #2 of 7

I can't really answer your MMF questions, just wanted to say I hate it too. I do, however LOVE Toba Garrett's fondant recipe. It's soooo much nicer to work with, IMO. I've made it several times now, and every time it has come out great. It requires a few more ingredients, but wasn't difficult to make at all.

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 8:01am
post #3 of 7

This is where I learned to make MMF. Mine always works out and I never seem to have a problem with cracks etc. As for the additives....I have never tried adding anything.....but that is a good question!! icon_biggrin.gif

http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 9:10am
post #4 of 7

I am not really an expert but I can answer some of your question in my experience with the fondant

1.- I I've learned that have to weight the sugar so I don't add to much because before I have issues like cracking, not pliable, etc,

2.- What gliceryne does is make it more pliable, I put it in the fridge in a plastic bag and in a toperware.

3.- Make wilton's GP taste better I don't think so icon_rolleyes.gif , I do not like Wilton GP icon_cool.gif,

4.- What I do is add like 1 teaspoon for every pound of MMF, an it works really good and the taste it is the same.

5.- oh! and I usually keep it in the fridge for 2 weeks but some other people said you can keep it longer others even put it in the freezer but I never try that.

I bakes for my family too and I do not want to expend to much money in satin ice if I can make it that is the way we can learn and have fun icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif .

I hope this can help you and I hope some body else can give you more information.

Frankyia thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

Frankyola Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 9:13am
post #5 of 7

Ohh! I forgot to tell you I use Ronda's MMF and it is really good but recently I try Michele's Foster fondant and I love it I like more than the MMF and my family said the same thing. They LOVE IT, you should try it it is sooooooo good. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Someonesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Someonesmommy Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 9:25am
post #6 of 7

Ill have to try and make a small batch of each and get my hubby to do the taste test. I always make him taste the flavoring of everything before b/c I smoke and don't trust my own tastebuds.

Frankyola Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 9:33am
post #7 of 7

Yes friend what I add for flavoring it is 1 teaspoon of almond and 1 teaspoon of butter flavor.

Please let us know which one you like it.

Blessings for you and your family icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%