Anyone Here Dealing With Lactose Intolerance?

Lounge By maisyone2 Updated 22 Dec 2008 , 1:16am by maisyone2

maisyone2 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:03am
post #1 of 16

It seems that my adult son has become lactose intolerant. He will be going to the doctor this next week so that we can pursue a positive diagnosis.

Assuming he is lactose intolerant, I have a question about lactose free milk or soy milk. Our favorite sugar cookie recipe calls for buttermilk. Can I add vinegar to the lactose free milk or soy milk to imitate buttermilk as you would regular milk?

Thanks in advance!
SE Michigan

15 replies
redpanda Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 9:16am
post #2 of 16

I don't know of any reason why you couldn't do that with the lactose-free milk, but I am not sure about the soy milk. I have been lactose-intolerant since I was about 8 or 9 years old, and have never had problems with the small amount of lactose that would be in a sugar cookie or two. (Of course, your son may eat more than one or two at a sitting!)

Depending on the degree of intolerance, your son may be able to eat small amounts of lactose-containing foods if he also takes a lactase enzyme tablet.

maisyone2 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:46am
post #3 of 16

I appreciate your reply.

He's still discovering what his tolerance-intolerance level is at this point. He's been at college and having to deal with this onset alone. Well.....we have been in constant communication and it's been difficult having 2000 miles in between. He's flying home tomorrow and will be staying for a couple of semesters. He's not really been eating healthy this past semester because he's not know what to eat. It's my hope to get him healthy while he's home.

Again, thank you for your reply......

sarahpierce Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 16

I became lactose intolarent 2 years ago after having my 2nd son. Mine is pretty severe. A lot of the lactose free milk and ice cream is actually 99% free, so it still makes me sick. Processed meats such as hot dogs and luncheon meats have milk product in them, so beware. Make sure he is reading labels. I have recently discovered that butter doesn't bother me. I also take the lactose pills which do help. They are kind of pricey and only work for 30 minutes, so basically it's a half hour marathon of eating everything dairy icon_biggrin.gif . Which makes me sick from eating too much. But, I have lost a bunch of weight between not being able to eat all the processed crap, and taking the digestive enzymes. Make sure he does take a calcium supplement if he eats no dairy. My bones hurt when I ate no dairy at all. On the bright side though - Oreos have no dairy in them! Also, if you put name brand fudge frosting (has no dairy) and keep it in the fridge it taste like real fudge when you eat it by the spoonful cold at 2 in the morning icon_biggrin.gif . Let your son know this isn't the end of the world, and there are many resourses and help aids out there. Just make sure he reads all labels. You would be surprised what has dairy and what doesn't.

xstitcher Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:18am
post #5 of 16

I personally don't have any intolerance but 3 of my children do and the 4th is actually allergic to to cow products. I use lactose drops (lactaid brand) in their milk. There are other brands out there but because I used these while I was living in Canada and I knew they worked for my kids I didn't want to change brands. I find it a lot more cost effective than buying the lactaid milk (3 growing children adds up to a lot of milk). I put the drops in and shake the milk jug to make sure it get mixed in well and then leave it for 24 hours before using.

For my youngest son I buy goats milk as it is lactose free. He doesn't have any problems digesting the goat's milk but if I give him the lactose free cow's milk he still has issues.

maisyone2 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 16

I truly appreciate everyone's response. When I went shopping this weekend in anticipation of him arriving home later today I bought a few things. Lactose Free Organic Milk, Soy Egg Nog, soy cheese and soy yogurt and some lactaid tablets. I don't intend on changing everything we eat, but felt it not a bad idea to try some of the lactose free specific and soy products. My DH, younger DS and I tried the soy eggnog and it was pretty good...quite a bit thinner in consistency than the regular, but pretty tasty all the same. I really found it interesting to read all the labels and find out how many food items have milk in them.

Thanks again for sharing. The more information and experiences I hear then better!

GI Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 16

He might be able to tolerate dairy if it is "cooked". Cookies reach the temperature enough to kill the enzyme. With that in mind, I would try just 1 thing at a time to rule it out if it is tolerable or not.

Poor kid. He's proably skin & bones and you Mom are going to want to fatten him up. icon_wink.gif

maisyone2 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 1:02am
post #8 of 16

My DS arrived home from school this past Monday. I was unable to go with my DH to pick him up from the airport. When I got home from work, I took one look at him and I couldn't believe how much weight he had lost just since August. He weighed about 230 back then and he stepped on the scale yesterday and it read 210. He's about 6', so he's not skin and bones by any stretch, and being a little thinner looks good on him. I told him that I don't want to fatten him up, I just want him to be healthy.

Since he's been home he's had no problem with eating. I've made sure things I've made don't contain dairy. The "special" dairy free foods that I have bought he didn't start trying until today. He wanted to finish his college finals before he started experimenting with "new" foods. He had a glass of the organic lactose free milk and had no problem. So I think we are on the right road.

Thank you all for your responses and support.

GI Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 1:45am
post #9 of 16

Glad to hear he is doing well. Good for him in waiting till after finals to start messing around with his food/diet. Smart kid. icon_smile.gif How embarrassing for him if he would've had a "problem" right during a final! icon_eek.gif

maisyone2 Posted 20 Dec 2008 , 2:34am
post #10 of 16

Fortunately he was doing his finals at home. They were all to be completed and submitted online to his instructors. And even more fortunate, he is going to be home for this entire next semester. There were enough online classes he could take for a full course load and I believe they are all classes that count toward his degree.

When he was at school he didn't have any embarrassing moments in class, but his intestinal issues did prevent him from attending a few classes and other functions that he wanted to go to.

bitofsnshn Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 12:54am
post #11 of 16

i have a lactose intolerance and so does my sister. The only thing that i really changed in my diet is we use the lactaid milk and lactose free ice cream. I found that some cheese that are cooked have no impact on me, but dairy like milk, sour cream, and ice cream are very hard on my system. I will say that at first the lactaid pills helped, but then i found that by taking those i couldnt tolerate lactose at all. A little bit of dairy in moderation is ok and in cases where i want a taste of ice cream i buy the breyers lactose free which tastes no different to me.

I will say my sister and me have different tolerance levels so like it was said before just exeriment with what works and what doesnt and then you just stay away from those items that are hard on him and try to incorporate lactose free items for those.

maisyone2 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:41am
post #12 of 16

It's good to hear everyone's different experiences. Have any of you had any of the diagnostic tests to confirm the lactose intolerance?

Mike1394 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:55am
post #13 of 16

Please do your research on soy before taking any of it. Do a search for soy/breast cancer.

maisyone2 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 16

I had seen some research on the benefits and the possible link to increased breast cancer in post-menopausal women due to the the phytoestrogens. Pre-menopausal women benefit from phytoestrogens, but post-menopausal may not. However, in men it's been found to decrease the incidence of prostate cancer.

There's always pros and cons to anything we ingest.

Mike1394 Posted 21 Dec 2008 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 16
Originally Posted by maisyone2

I had seen some research on the benefits and the possible link to increased breast cancer in post-menopausal women due to the the phytoestrogens. Pre-menopausal women benefit from phytoestrogens, but post-menopausal may not. However, in men it's been found to decrease the incidence of prostate cancer.

There's always pros and cons to anything we ingest.

Since you have done your research, and I hope it's not from the soy council, I wish you the best.

maisyone2 Posted 22 Dec 2008 , 1:16am
post #16 of 16

I can't begin to put a number to the amount of websites I've visited to get information. Of course, not all information is good information. But I tend to believe information when it's also found on the American Cancer Society's website.

I also more than appreciate everyone who has shared their own personal experience.

Thank you for your well wishes Mike.

Quote by @%username% on %date%