Please Help Me Find A Good Buttercream Recipe

Decorating By majormichel Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 1:33pm by majormichel

majormichel Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:53am
post #1 of 8

I am looking for a good Buttercream recipe. I notice that some here on cc called for Wedding Boutique (WB) and other flavors. I don't have the money right now to get WB, all I have is vanilla, almond and Butter flavor extract. I dont want anything to greasy just right if possible. I tried several recipes and I am still not please. I hate the regular boring vanilla flavor in buttecream, I need something with a wow reaction and tasty. What do you suggest? icon_lol.gif

7 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:17am
post #2 of 8

I use this recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2075-Crusting-Buttercream-Icing-VIVA-Method.html

My only changes are a teeny pinch of salt and instead of plain water, I use regular powdered coffee creamer dissolved in HOT water. I've found that the hot water helps with the greasy thing.

Good Luck!

GipsyGourmet Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:52am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

I am looking for a good Buttercream recipe. I notice that some here on cc called for Wedding Boutique (WB) and other flavors. I don't have the money right now to get WB, all I have is vanilla, almond and Butter flavor extract. I dont want anything to greasy just right if possible. I tried several recipes and I am still not please. I hate the regular boring vanilla flavor in buttecream, I need something with a wow reaction and tasty. What do you suggest? icon_lol.gif

I use Sharon's Sugarshack Buttercream Recipe, it's posted on CC - it calls for Wedding Bouquet; however, some of my clients do not like almond and the Wedding Bouquet does have somewhat of an almond taste, so I use Cream Bouquet instead for those clients, it's yummy. In addition, Sharon's recipe smooths out better and has less air bubbles than any BC recipe that I've tried. Sharon has a video on YouTube that takes you through the steps to making her buttercream icing, I found it to be very helpful as well. Just go to YouTube and search for Making a Batch of Buttercream Icing by SugarShack and you should come across a video of Sharon Sugarshack's buttercream. I think it's yummy! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:13am
post #4 of 8

Flavorings can be used interchangeably. Just because a certain recipe calls for WB you don't have to use it as flavoring. It is not a major/totally necessary ingredient (IMHO). People use my WASC cake recipe and change the flavors all the time....doesn't make me happy but then I'm not the one eating iticon_smile.gif
I also use vanilla, butter & almond mixture for almost all of my icings. It's a great combination.

milissasmom Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #5 of 8

I don't have a link to mine but I PM'd you. I have used it for years and love it. Good luck...

majormichel Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all so much. Will be trying the buttercream recipes.

kelleym Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 8

My Wilton instructor taught us that we could make our own "Creme Bouquet" (citrusy) flavor by using lemon and orange extracts:

http://www.cakeboss.com/CakeBossButtercream.aspx

majormichel Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

My Wilton instructor taught us that we could make our own "Creme Bouquet" (citrusy) flavor by using lemon and orange extracts:

http://www.cakeboss.com/CakeBossButtercream.aspx

Thanks, Kelleym something to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%