Please Help Me Find A Good Buttercream Recipe

Decorating By majormichel Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 1:33pm by majormichel

majormichel  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:53am
post #1 of 8

I am looking for a good Buttercream recipe. I notice that some here on cc called for Wedding Boutique (WB) and other flavors. I don't have the money right now to get WB, all I have is vanilla, almond and Butter flavor extract. I dont want anything to greasy just right if possible. I tried several recipes and I am still not please. I hate the regular boring vanilla flavor in buttecream, I need something with a wow reaction and tasty. What do you suggest? icon_lol.gif

7 replies
 diamondsonblackvelvet13  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:17am
post #2 of 8

I use this recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2075-Crusting-Buttercream-Icing-VIVA-Method.html

My only changes are a teeny pinch of salt and instead of plain water, I use regular powdered coffee creamer dissolved in HOT water. I've found that the hot water helps with the greasy thing.

Good Luck!

GipsyGourmet  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GipsyGourmet Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:52am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

I am looking for a good Buttercream recipe. I notice that some here on cc called for Wedding Boutique (WB) and other flavors. I don't have the money right now to get WB, all I have is vanilla, almond and Butter flavor extract. I dont want anything to greasy just right if possible. I tried several recipes and I am still not please. I hate the regular boring vanilla flavor in buttecream, I need something with a wow reaction and tasty. What do you suggest? icon_lol.gif

I use Sharon's Sugarshack Buttercream Recipe, it's posted on CC - it calls for Wedding Bouquet; however, some of my clients do not like almond and the Wedding Bouquet does have somewhat of an almond taste, so I use Cream Bouquet instead for those clients, it's yummy. In addition, Sharon's recipe smooths out better and has less air bubbles than any BC recipe that I've tried. Sharon has a video on YouTube that takes you through the steps to making her buttercream icing, I found it to be very helpful as well. Just go to YouTube and search for Making a Batch of Buttercream Icing by SugarShack and you should come across a video of Sharon Sugarshack's buttercream. I think it's yummy! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:13am
post #4 of 8

Flavorings can be used interchangeably. Just because a certain recipe calls for WB you don't have to use it as flavoring. It is not a major/totally necessary ingredient (IMHO). People use my WASC cake recipe and change the flavors all the time....doesn't make me happy but then I'm not the one eating iticon_smile.gif
I also use vanilla, butter & almond mixture for almost all of my icings. It's a great combination.

milissasmom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:32am
post #5 of 8

I don't have a link to mine but I PM'd you. I have used it for years and love it. Good luck...

majormichel Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all so much. Will be trying the buttercream recipes.

kelleym  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 8

My Wilton instructor taught us that we could make our own "Creme Bouquet" (citrusy) flavor by using lemon and orange extracts:

http://www.cakeboss.com/CakeBossButtercream.aspx

majormichel Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

My Wilton instructor taught us that we could make our own "Creme Bouquet" (citrusy) flavor by using lemon and orange extracts:

http://www.cakeboss.com/CakeBossButtercream.aspx

Thanks, Kelleym something to try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%