Red Satin Ice Or Others

Decorating By cakedecr8r Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 7:25pm by chelleb1974

cakedecr8r Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:45am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone used the red Satic Ice fondant? Is if good? or do you have any other recommendations for a good red fondant?

7 replies
sari66 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:51am
post #2 of 8

Yes, it's the best one I like

aa053103 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:52am
post #3 of 8

I've been using it and it's fine. It's just like the regular white vanilla fondant but red. I've used on my strawberry shortcake cake and now I will be using it for a wedding cake I have next week. Better to get premade red fondant than actually coloring yourself. HTH!

Ana

tracycakes Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:58am
post #4 of 8

I haven't used the red Satin Ice but I did use black and it was really good. No off flavor at all.

leah_s Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:05am
post #5 of 8

Just finished using some. It's fab.

milissasmom Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:25am
post #6 of 8

Use it and you will love it...the truest red color you will find and the taste is not yucky! I find that it is a little more difficult to work with when covering larger cakes though (it seems to tear on me). But I use it for smaller cakes and decorations all the time.

Leahs, do you have the tearing problem with covering larger cakes or is there a trick to avoiding this from having? I have added PS as well as corn starch and it still happens? Just wondering....

dmich Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:50am
post #7 of 8

Yes, Satin Ice. One time I colored white fondant. Ugh - not recommended! I'm very happy with the Satin Ice.

chelleb1974 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

Use it and you will love it...the truest red color you will find and the taste is not yucky! I find that it is a little more difficult to work with when covering larger cakes though (it seems to tear on me). But I use it for smaller cakes and decorations all the time.

Leahs, do you have the tearing problem with covering larger cakes or is there a trick to avoiding this from having? I have added PS as well as corn starch and it still happens? Just wondering....

I love Satin Ice - it's the only fondant I will use on edible cakes (I use wilton for competition dummy cakes).

Satin Ice is a softer consistency than some other fondants, I believe. I use a silicone mat (from ateco) to roll my fondant out on. When I have it big enough to cover the cake, I lift the mat up, flip is over (with a helper, lol), and lay it down over the cake. Then peel back the silpat and the fondant is on the cake. Then smooth like normal. And no, the fondant has never fallen off the silpat yet.

Hope that helps,
Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%