Chocolate Cake In A Cup?? Cool!!!

Baking By bobwonderbuns Updated 17 Dec 2008 , 5:39am by cakesdivine

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:21am
post #1 of 7

My friend who emails me things all cake related sent me this recipe and I just HAD to share it with all my CC pals! icon_lol.gif I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to it. icon_biggrin.gif If anyone tries this before I do let us know how it comes out! icon_razz.gif

DANGEROUS CHOCOLATE CAKE-IN-A-MUG***

1 coffee mug

4 Tbsp. cake flour (plain, not self-rising)

4 Tbsp. sugar

2 Tbsp. cocoa

1 egg

3 Tbsp. milk

3 Tbsp. oil

Small splash of vanilla

3 Tbsp. chocolate chips, optional

Add dry ingredients to mug, mix well with a fork.

Add egg, mix thoroughly.

Pour in milk and oil and vanilla, mix well.

Add chips, if using.

Put mug in microwave, and cook for three minutes on 1000 watts.

Cake will rise over top of mug--do not be alarmed!

Allow to cool a little; tip onto a plate if desired.

Eat!

(This can serve two if you want to feel slightly more virtuous.)

***And WHY is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?

Because now we are all only five minutes away from chocolate cake any time of the day or night!!!***

(Note from Janice)

'Get thee hence' to the microwave!!! This is GREAT!!! Got the recipe from a friend, and tried it out immediately. It works! I see multiple applications for this gem: With kids; grandkids; 4-H cooking classes; college dorm room when there's only a microwave; late-night cravings; just enough for one or two servings instead of an entire cake..........ha, ha! My kids added some drizzles of chocolate syrup and some Cool Whip (we didn't put in the chocolate chips). You could add canned frosting, too. The batter does rise up 'way over the top of the mug, but doesn't run down the side. Fun to watch! Be careful not to overcook--our microwave is higher than 1000 watts, and three minutes was a dab too long--dried the cakes out a little bit. Anyway, give it a try! And be sure to watch it the whole time it's baking in the microwave!!!)

6 replies
fiddlesticks Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:45am
post #2 of 7

Hey Bob.. I also have this recipe I tried it once and yes it was tasty! Its been a long time since I have made it so thanks for bringing it back to life !!

all4cake Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:46am
post #3 of 7

Maybe it was just me...

It was the coolest thing to watch! So much so that even after tasting it and finding it less than desirable, I made it again just to watch it in the microwave. I don't know if this is the EXACT recipe as was shared by another CCer but it looks it....the other was not sweet enough for me...but had I covered it with an icing of some sort, it may have been perfect.

This is definitely something awesome to watch...I bet the kids would get an awesome kick out it!

cakemaker61 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:58am
post #4 of 7

I tried this also and it was really weird watching it rise in the microwave. Mine turned out almost black in color because I used that really dark Hershey's choc. Taste-wise, didn't like it. It was the consistency almost like soft rubber. But it was fun to see it cook.

jen1977 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:00am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemaker61

I tried this also and it was really weird watching it rise in the microwave. Mine turned out almost black in color because I used that really dark Hershey's choc. Taste-wise, didn't like it. It was the consistency almost like soft rubber. But it was fun to see it cook.

I agree about the feel of it in your mouth...it was grainy and like soft rubber!

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:13am
post #6 of 7

Huh! I didn't realize this had already been posted. Now I'm really curious to try it! I'm not a fan of microwave cooking at all but it should be interesting to see how this turns out! icon_biggrin.gif

cakesdivine Posted 17 Dec 2008 , 5:39am
post #7 of 7

Has anyone tried their own cake recipe in an oven proof mug? Not a fan of "nuked" cake but love the 'in a mug' idea. Maybe several mugs placed in a waterbath pan to bake? I think I might do that this week. My daughter is coming in to celebrate Christmas this weekend with me because she & Her BF are going to his parents in Iowa for Christmas. I see a "Scene It" party w/the mug cakes and hot cocoa in the very near future!... icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%