Help With Mmf, Please!?!

Decorating By Someonesmommy Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 1:30am by FullHouse

Someonesmommy Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:07am
post #1 of 7

Hello, Im new to the forum and I need some help. I made a batch of MMF but whenever I put it on the cake it cracks and falls apart. I've tried adding a couple drops of water but it didnt work. Is there anything else I can do to try and "save" this batch?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
mannjc Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:17am
post #2 of 7

use some shortening to make it a little softer and pliable. I just coat my hands with it and knead it again! Good luck icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:18am
post #3 of 7

I always use Crisco instead of cornstarch to roll and knead my MMF. If it is dry I usually knead in more Crisco.

FullHouse Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:20am
post #4 of 7

You can try kneading it with a little shortening on your hands, but it may be too far gone. This happened with mine the 1st time I made it (wound up rushing to Michaels and buying Wilton because I needed it right away), I changed 2 things and now it works fine: I didn't use my Kitchen Aid next time (all w/wooden spoon, then by hand) and i used a bit less conf. sugar, have about 3-4 tbs.of the 2lb bag left over. Good luck.

Someonesmommy Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:25am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

You can try kneading it with a little shortening on your hands, but it may be too far gone. This happened with mine the 1st time I made it (wound up rushing to Michaels and buying Wilton because I needed it right away), I changed 2 things and now it works fine: I didn't use my Kitchen Aid next time (all w/wooden spoon, then by hand) and i used a bit less conf. sugar, have about 3-4 tbs.of the 2lb bag left over. Good luck.

You know.....I did take the easy way out and used my Kitchen Aid. Ill have to try it using the spoon then. Thanks for your help!

LauraLanier Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #6 of 7

I have found that when I add a little corn syrup while making it, it is so much easier to work with, I also heat it up before I roll it out to help it go on smoother, hope that helps. I also use powdered sugar to roll it out on but have found if something goes wrong while rolling it out I have to reheat and add more crisco. I don't know if everyone has this much trouble or not, but it taste so much better than the wilton stuff. good luck icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 1:30am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I always use Crisco instead of cornstarch to roll and knead my MMF. If it is dry I usually knead in more Crisco.

I forgot about that point. I also like to use Crisco when rolling out, esp. if the fondant is colored, just not too much or there will be a shine you can't get rid of. Try brushing a very thin coating on your rolling mat/countertop.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%