Questions From A Newbie :)

Decorating By Sigyn Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 4:07am by Sigyn

Sigyn Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 9

Firstly I want to apologize if I put this in the wrong forum and some questions I have searched for but I would really like your opinion and I'm sorry for SOO many questions and I'm sorry for using peoples pictures (I hope you don't mind if I borrow the ideas) icon_redface.gif

icon_smile.gif Alright I have a couple question pertaining to a B-day cake I am planning on making for a friend.

The theme she wanted was Rock/Guitar/80's icon_surprised.gif needless to say I've only made basic cakes or pan cakes lol

I searched the cakes on this site and came up with some idea's based off of cakes I found on here. But the thing is I am clueless on how to actually make it lol
icon_biggrin.gif 1- I am planning on making a small 2 layer cake I know you use dowels between layer, but I am also going to use Fondant for the first time. Is there a store bought brand you would recommend for a first time user?

icon_biggrin.gif 2- I found an idea to incorporate a guitar and music notes into the cake and one user used molded chocolate, can you tell me what that is? is it just melted chocolate in molds? any technique you would recommend?
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1290233.html

icon_biggrin.gif 3- I also was thinking of putting fondant ribbon around the bottom but I wanted to add accents to the ribbon. I was thinking maybe lyrics to one of her favorite songs, but I don't know if I could pipe it? Is there another way to write on fondant or maybe a technique you can recommend?

I would welcome any idea's or techniques I know I'm biting off more then I can chew lol I already got that rant from my mother! icon_lol.gif But I'm excited to do something new and really enjoy cake making and decorating so I want to make this a nice b-day for her! so thank you guys for taking the time to answer my questions!
Andrea

8 replies
JaLa90016 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 9

Hi,

1. A good store bought fondant is Satin Ice.

2. The ladies on this site is REALLY, REALLY NICE !!!! and if you pm them, they will tell you exactly how to make whatever it is that you a re interested in.

However, check out this site. They have the guitar candy mold and musical chocolate molds. I have ordered from them in the past and I haven't had any problems. Here is the link. http://www.candyplus.net/miscm3.html

3. An idea would be to print out the lyrics on edible paper and then place it on the rolled fondant. Or you can use the edible markers with the fine tip to write on the fondant.

Also, get you a clay gun to make the ropes. The Makins Ultimate Cly Gun is easy to use and economical as well. I bought one for $19.00 and it comes with 19 discs. All you do is put the fondant in the chamber and twist the handle and you will get perfect sized ropes every time.
I hope this helps.

Good Luck!!!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 9

Yes you put dowel into a two tier cake not so much into a two layer cake.

Store bought fondant is fine--any kind except not Wilton's.

Yes melted chocolate into molds--I recommend using candy melts since it is already tempered and will work nicely for you. Wilton candy melts are fine, Merckens are good- the almond bark in the grocery stores is fine.

Fondant ribbon--I like to use edible ink markers on fondant.

Happy cakin'!!

JaLa90016 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 9

I mispelled The Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder but its a clay gun that you can use with fondant.

abbeyloo Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 9

hello, my goodness you have got a task on your hands but im sure it will turn out fantastic!! Right here goes, i dont use dowles in my 2 layer sponge cakes and i have never had any problems so you dont have to, i favor tesco's ready made fondent.
It looks to me like the notes are done by just putting choclate into molds but if i was doing them i would use gumpaste, just draw a note on some paper and lay it on the rolled gumpaste and cut round it, that is how i did the ones for my hsm cake.
As for the writing on the ribbon you can buy food colour pen, they are great and easy to use.
hope this helps would love to see a pic of the cake when its done! good luck! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 9

.....making a small 2 layer cake I know you use dowels between layer, ....

Uuuummm not right. A 'layer' of cake is one 2" cake. What you are refering to is 'tiers' consisting of two 2 layer cakess for a total heigth of approx. 4" *with* more cakes set on top of it.
You don't need dowels/support when putting together two 2" layers - only if the bottom cake is 4" tall *and* more cakes are placed on top of it.

Sigyn Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:02am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaLa90016

Hi,

1. A good store bought fondant is Satin Ice.

2. The ladies on this site is REALLY, REALLY NICE !!!! and if you pm them, they will tell you exactly how to make whatever it is that you a re interested in.

However, check out this site. They have the guitar candy mold and musical chocolate molds. I have ordered from them in the past and I haven't had any problems. Here is the link. http://www.candyplus.net/miscm3.html

3. An idea would be to print out the lyrics on edible paper and then place it on the rolled fondant. Or you can use the edible markers with the fine tip to write on the fondant.

Also, get you a clay gun to make the ropes. The Makins Ultimate Cly Gun is easy to use and economical as well. I bought one for $19.00 and it comes with 19 discs. All you do is put the fondant in the chamber and twist the handle and you will get perfect sized ropes every time.
I hope this helps.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks for your reply icon_smile.gif I'm making notes on everything lol I am heading to a few cake stores around my area and going to look and ask for these products.

Sigyn Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:04am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbeyloo

hello, my goodness you have got a task on your hands but im sure it will turn out fantastic!! Right here goes, i dont use dowles in my 2 layer sponge cakes and i have never had any problems so you dont have to, i favor tesco's ready made fondent.
It looks to me like the notes are done by just putting choclate into molds but if i was doing them i would use gumpaste, just draw a note on some paper and lay it on the rolled gumpaste and cut round it, that is how i did the ones for my hsm cake.
As for the writing on the ribbon you can buy food colour pen, they are great and easy to use.
hope this helps would love to see a pic of the cake when its done! good luck! icon_smile.gif

yes I have an idea I'm going to regret this as I'm applying the fondant lol icon_lol.gif
I am glad they sell those colored pens I will have to look into that! Thank You for your advice!

Sigyn Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 4:07am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.....making a small 2 layer cake I know you use dowels between layer, ....

Uuuummm not right. A 'layer' of cake is one 2" cake. What you are refering to is 'tiers' consisting of two 2 layer cakess for a total heigth of approx. 4" *with* more cakes set on top of it.
You don't need dowels/support when putting together two 2" layers - only if the bottom cake is 4" tall *and* more cakes are placed on top of it.

yes I know what it was, I was thinking one thing and typed another. I was planning on layering the cake but with 2 tiers.

Thanks for your response! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%