Please Help With Wolf Cake

Decorating By leopardgirl_23 Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 2:31am by Parable

leopardgirl_23 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 6

Im a newbie to the cake making and have been commisioned to do a wolf birthday cake. I only have 9" square pans at the moment and was planning to have it be a wolf's head and Im going to just use buttercream and not fondant. I havent done any kind of sculptured cake so Im at a loss as far as how to go about doing this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. icon_eek.gif

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry this is something I'm not very good at. I really can't suggest anything except maybe find a good clear pic to have sitting in front of you to copy. Good lluck.

dmich Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 6

My tip would be to make sure that you use a firm cake, such as a pound cake. Also, chill well or partially freeze the cake before carving to reduce crumbs and breaking. If a piece does break off, attempt to "glue" it on with some buttercream icing.

mazz Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 6

Hello,

I would suggest find a wolf picture on line - I would look under clipart or coloring pages - for a good outline picture. Then I would print the picture as large as I need it. Then put it on the cake and cut out the outline. After the initial cake out line is cut - to put the details of the wolf features of the wolf I would turn the picture over and out line it in piping gel then put it on a crum coated cake. Rub your hand over the back so the piping gel attached to the cake. Then you can follow the outline and decorate. Please note some people use the pin prick method instead of the piping gel method to put the details on the cake.

I like to crumb coat in a base color so that if I accidently miss a tiny spot white using will not show thru.

I hope this helps and you can understand what I am saying.

leopardgirl_23 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 12:15am
post #5 of 6

thank you so much for the tips, Im sure they will help!

Parable Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:31am
post #6 of 6

Here is one I have marked as one of my favs:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1278170.html

maybe it will spur some inspiration. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%