Box Cake Mix Question...

Decorating By cakebaby59 Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 9:49pm by littlewoman

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 7

I want to use the Lorann's peppermint flav. for a christmas cake. I always use the butter flav. cake mix, but I don't want the butter flav. to be too strong...so my question is...what's the difference in a yellow cake mix and a butter cake mix? Is the butter flav. as strong in the yellow cake mix? Thanks...Linda

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 7

For starters, I think I would use the peppermint in the icing.

And if you are putting the peppermint in the cake, you don't have to worry about the flavor difference between the two cake mixes because the peppermint will over power either.

The yellow probably has lemon and almond in it too.

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 7

Do u think the cake will absorb some of the peppermint flav.? We used to do a white cake with 7 min. frosting and we would put chipped up peppermint candy between the layers and in a few hours the peppermint flav. would be pulled into the layers. It was awsome. I'm shooting for that without the 7 min frosting.
Thanks...Linda

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 7

Yes. I mean you can't stop peppermint. It will permeate.

(I think chocolate when I think of peppermint cake.)

Y'know what, you could help it along by making a simple syrup and adding some peppermint to that and brush or squirt the cake with it. It's called a splash.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 7

K8's right...use a splash then put a bit into the icing and you will have the perfect taste comb.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 7

I would probably use white cake with a bit of oil and then maybe some crushed peppermint candies for color and flavor.....

And creme de menthe oil tastes fabulous in buttercream!

littlewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlewoman Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 7

Last year I made a chocolate fudge cake with peppermint mousse it was a hit, to make the mousse I used Rich's whip topping and crushed peppermints it was amazing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%