White Icing Base Added In Buttercream ??????

Decorating By majormichel Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 8:01am by CakeDiosa

majormichel Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 12

I was reading on CC that a few people use white icing base to their buttercream.

What is white icing base?
Is it a liquid?
Where can I get it in Canada?
What does it do the the buttercream (make it smoother, flavourful, etc)?

11 replies
chutzpah Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 12

I have no idea, but it sure does sound inedible.

tonedna Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 12

Are you talking about snow white icing?...Or maybe white color added to your buttercream?
Edna

KathyTW Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 12

I have what's called "Fluffy Delight" Butter Cream Icing Base that I purchased at a cake supply store that is no longer in business. It was obviously made in a large quantity and then put into smaller containers at the store (much like bulk sprinkles, etc).

The contents say: Corn Starch, Dextrose, Polysorbate 60

The directions say: 1lb PS, 1 TBSP Fluffy Delight, 1/4 Tsp Salt, 3/4 C Crisco, 1/4 C Water, flavoring of choice....mix together 5 min or till consistancy desired.

I like this icing and it is WHITE, but since I can't get it anymore I just make a couple of different BC recipes from here at CC.

majormichel Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyTW

I have what's called "Fluffy Delight" Butter Cream Icing Base that I purchased at a cake supply store that is no longer in business. It was obviously made in a large quantity and then put into smaller containers at the store (much like bulk sprinkles, etc).

The contents say: Corn Starch, Dextrose, Polysorbate 60

The directions say: 1lb PS, 1 TBSP Fluffy Delight, 1/4 Tsp Salt, 3/4 C Crisco, 1/4 C Water, flavoring of choice....mix together 5 min or till consistancy desired.

I like this icing and it is WHITE, but since I can't get it anymore I just make a couple of different BC recipes from here at CC.

KathyTW, yes thats what I mean Butter Cream icing base. It is a liquid? What does it do to the buttercream.

KathyTW Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 12

It's a powder. I'm really not sure what it does! I bought it a few years ago and in another state so I can't find out anymore info on it or where to get more!

I came across another little container of one called "Hi-Whip" Icing Base which is also a powder. The ingredients in this one are: Dextrose, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, Modified Tapioca Starch, Egg Whites, Salt, Guar Gum, Sodium Alginate, Citric Acid and artificial flavor.
This calls for 3 Tbsp to be added to basic buttercream icing.

It's really frustrating when businesses re-package a product but don't give you any information on what it does - I must have talked to someone at the store at one time to see what these were for but I can't for the life of me remember what I was told!

If anyone else has any idea about these products and if they are still available - I'd love to know.

Charmed Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 6:48pm
post #7 of 12

Kathy TW
I searched for the fluffy delight and found it at sweetc . com thumbs_up.gif

KathyTW Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 6:57pm
post #8 of 12

Here is info I found onlne for the Fluffy Delight (could not find anything on the Hi-Whip)

Fluffy Delight adds character to your buttercream icing. If you like the smoothness and ease of handling of bakery icing, this will help you get it. Nice white color, good feel will be yours. Instructions on 8 oz. package.

Another site says: Fluffy Delight is an icing base additive for buttercream icing that reduces the greasy taste in your icing.

And yet another: Add a small amount to your buttercream or cream cheese icing for an improved consistency and easier spreading. Once you try it, you'll never make frosting without it!

majormichel Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 12:36pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you all for the info.

JanH Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 12

Henry and Henry has a Cream Whip icing base:
(Recipe included, but seems marshmallow creme is an acceptable substitute.)

http://tinyurl.com/6k66qv

www.nationalflavors.com sells Snow White icing base as well as Chocolate Fudge and Scotch Creme bases

French style frosting recipe:
(Using hi-whip.)

http://tinyurl.com/6sxxp4

Brite White icing base is GREAT, if you can find it!

HTH

Scrumptious Creations Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 5:45am
post #11 of 12

Brite White is a Fudge base mix used to make Buttercream. It is not to be eaten alone. You can purchase it at www.thecakecottage.net
online store.

CakeDiosa Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:01am
post #12 of 12

I have used Brite White but beware if you use the Viva method because too much of it will keep your BC from crusting or it will crust minimally and stick to your paper towel.

I honestly didn't notice a huge difference in taste. It's a bit salty (perhaps to cut sweetness) but other than that....I was underwhelmed with it and didn't use it after I went through the container I had now I just add a bit of liquid salt (salt dissolved in warm water) to cut sweetness.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%