Getting Cakes Level

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 14 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm by sugarshack

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 20

Ok, so my wonderful husband just got me a brilliant book with coconut, carrot, chocolate and madeira recipes for each size of cake tin with full time instructions, etc and these are the recipes im going to use from now on - just tried the chocolate one in a 6inch tin and it was YUM! but due to it rising to much in the middle i had to cut a fair bit off it to level it which wasted maybe a fifth of the cake and also means that it is not high enough to look nice so i was thinking il probably make two cakes for each tier but when i cut each cake in half il only use 3 of the layers and freeze the fourth.

This does add a little expense onto the cakes but it'l be worth it as i love the look of nice high cakes particularly in single tier cakes. but is there any way round it - any tips for stopping the peaking in the oven?

The recipes have only a small percentage of self raising flour and a little bicarb added so they dont have that much raising agents in them.

also when you level the cakes do you stick them in the fridge or freezer to firm them up?

19 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 20

Hi, you can use Wilton's bake even strips, heating cores or flowernails ( that is what I use ). You also can cut small strips of old towel and wet it, and wrap it around the tin. icon_smile.gif

Here is a link on how to use a heating core from sugarshack.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-love-it-to-core.html

Here is another one,

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/983-cake-decorating-three-ways-to-get-a-level-cake

HTH.

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 20

Bashini, do you use the heating core for smaller cakes as well? I've only used it for cake 10 inches or larger. Thanks for the tutorial links.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 20

I don't use the heating core at all (don't like 'em) but I've had great success with the flower nail technique. I use that on everything from 6 x 3 cakes and up. No plug, no fuss, evenly baked cakes. Awesome! icon_biggrin.gif

rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 20

ever have one of the "light bulb" moments? I just had one and am lol at myself icon_lol.gif I was about to ask bobwonderbuns how do you get the flower nail out with ruining the cake. DUH! icon_lol.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmich

Bashini, do you use the heating core for smaller cakes as well? I've only used it for cake 10 inches or larger. Thanks for the tutorial links.

I don't use heating cores, dmich. I use flowernails all the time. It works really well for me.

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 20

The flower nail technique is easy. When you grease the cake pan grease the entire flower nail as well. Place in the center of the pan with the nail sticking up. Be sure you grease that too!! Pour the batter in, bake your cake and when you flip it out of the pan just jimmy the nail out. All you have is a tiny hole, no plug and an evenly baked cake! icon_biggrin.gif

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks to both of you for the tips.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 20

Flower nail does not do it for me( I think I am only person on earth, too, LOL0 but I use my core for 8 inch and up.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 20

I use a flower nail & the bake even strips. I swear by both of them

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 20

Flower nails work well for me, too.

sugarshack Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 20

i told u i am the only one that doesnt like the nails...hahahahaha

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:54pm
post #13 of 20

Flower nails and bake even strips bake my cakes up perfectly flat every, single time!!!!! I don't like the hole from the heating core...

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 20

I don't like the nails either! I just bake on a very low temp and usually dont have to cut much off at all.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:07pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

The flower nail technique is easy. When you grease the cake pan grease the entire flower nail as well. Place in the center of the pan with the nail sticking up. Be sure you grease that too!! Pour the batter in, bake your cake and when you flip it out of the pan just jimmy the nail out. All you have is a tiny hole, no plug and an evenly baked cake! icon_biggrin.gif

I've always wanted to use the flower nail, but I'm concerned about what they use to solder them together. Since you are really only suppose to use the top of the flower nail, I wonder if they make the whole thing food safe or just the top? I guess I'm a little "lead" paranoid because it is used so much in soldering. I should probably just email the company, but does anyone know for sure?

JaLa90016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLa90016 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:30pm
post #16 of 20

Thanks for the flower nail tip and the tutorial. I hated using the heating core beause of the huge hole that it leaves. I was sitting here like, How do you get the nail out. LOL so I was sitting here like, "Please, somebody give an explanation on how to get it out."

Thanks Ladies!!!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 11:28pm
post #17 of 20

I used my flower nail as a heating core for a couple of months and then it...broke. The spike came off the head. It made me leery of using it for that purpose, since it's clearly not built for being baked. icon_confused.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 11:30pm
post #18 of 20

I have lots of flower nails, they're inexpensive and when one starts looking a bit "used" shall we say, I bake with a new one. I get a lot of use out of them though.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 2:57pm
post #19 of 20

wow, thanks everyone! i have a flower nail so il try it next weekend together with the wet towel thing and if that doesnt work, then il maybe invest in a heating core thing. wish me luck!

sugarshack Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #20 of 20

hey guys, do you know you plug the hole from the core with the cake baked in the core ? there is no hole when you are done. you can barely even tell where the plug is when all is said and done

see my blog for a tutorial:

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/i-love-it-to-core.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%