Help. Need Advice...cake Due In A Few Hours...

Decorating By Tomoore Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm by BREN28

Tomoore Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:01am
post #1 of 17

Please help! icon_cry.gif

I swear I had this all figured out in my head and now...

I can't figure out how to construct this so that the top stays up and it's secure (the person is picking it up from me). I know it's something so simple and I am just too sleepy to get it.

I made the top out of rice krispy treats on a cake board and covered with fondant. The bottom is cake with a filling.

I have wooden dowels and bubble tea straws available...

Plz let me know how you would go about contructing this. I am going to shut my eyes for a couple of hours. I will only have a couple of hours to work on it in the morning.

16 replies
amysue99 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 8:50am
post #2 of 17

Wow! That is a great cake. I wish I could help, but I've had problems in this area myself. I think a lot of people just prop it open with dowels, but the design will make that difficult. Hopefully you'll have an epiphany while you sleep.

Tomoore Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 11:43am
post #3 of 17

lol...I am awake and sadly, no epiphanies.

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 17

hope this isn't too late.....I would use wooden dowels and tell the too drive very the way great cake!

Tomoore Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 17

I have assembled it and it feels sturdy. (I even tried to shake it a bit to see if it would move and it didn't). I basically have two wooden dowels stuck down into board, with the other end pointed and "digging" into the top. In the middle of those, I have a bubble tea straw to hold it up a bit and take a little of the pressure off of the wooden dowels. (I don't want the weight of the top to continue to bear down on the wooden dowels and possibly cause them to poke completely through the top). Anyway, I also have two additional wooden dowels toward the outer edges of the cake.

The filling in white choc ganache and the icing (under the fondant) is IMBC, so the cake needs to be chilled. I am relying on that factor as well to make transporting a little easier.

Say your prayers, please. icon_smile.gif

grama_j Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 17

GREAT cake, Toni..... doesn't sound like it will be a problem... I don't know what else you could do to secure it !

Tomoore Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:06am
post #7 of 17

Well, I haven't heard anything from the woman that ordered the cake, so I'm assuming that everything went well. I had to drive the cake to a relative's house and the client was picking it up from there. It happened to be a bit more sturdy than I thought. icon_wink.gif

I'm posting the final version...

-K8memphis Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 3:56am
post #8 of 17

lifonahil Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:45am
post #9 of 17

Wow great cake.

ladyellam Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 6:55am
post #10 of 17

You did a beautiful job. Wonderful cake!

Tomoore Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks so much! icon_wink.gif

Monkess Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 17

THAT is absolutely first ACED that CAKE!!!!

stephaniescakenj Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:28pm
post #13 of 17

such a cool cake. Great Job!!!!

bellabiaggio Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #14 of 17

Awesome! You did a great job icon_smile.gif

cakesbydina Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 7:36pm
post #15 of 17

Can you post directions for this cake....pretty please?

Tomoore Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 3:50pm
post #16 of 17

4littlewops, give me a minute on directions. When I made it for the second time for a family member, I wasn't as successful with the supports in it. They would not hold the top steady for the life of me! And of course, I didn't take detailed notes or pictures the first time. So, I committed myself to making it again to figure out what I did wrong (and how to do it right). Once I have a chance to do that, I'll gladly post. The support was the only challenging part of the cake.

Thanks everyone for looking!

BREN28 Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 17

that is so awesome, i would have had a total brain freeze on how to do that cake,but you did great!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%