Do You Crumb Coat/frost Before Piping Stars?

Decorating By banananutmuffin Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 3:58am by jammjenks

banananutmuffin Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:34am
post #1 of 6

If I am covering the entire cake in stars--like the 3D bear or a sports ball shaped like a caterpillar--should I crumb coat or frost the cake first? Or can I just pipe the stars directly on the cake?

5 replies
DianeLM Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

Pipe directly onto the cake. No need to frost first.

If you're going to ice the sides smooth, be sure to do that first and overlap it a bit over the top so there's no gap between the sides and the top.

veejaytx Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #3 of 6

I've done them both ways, but feel the stars stay on the cake better if I coat the cake with a simple syrup, or a very thin crumb coat.

Parable Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:40am
post #4 of 6

I like to crumb coat so none of the cake peeks through on those occasional stars that are not totally touching the others.

Win Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:47am
post #5 of 6

I'm with Parable. I put a light layer of icing on. A) I think it gives the stars something to adhere to, and 2) when I don't quite match them up, the layer of icing hides the mistake better. When it doesn't have the icing the misaligned star has a dark spot showing through.

jammjenks Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:58am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I'm with Parable. I put a light layer of icing on. A) I think it gives the stars something to adhere to, and 2) when I don't quite match them up, the layer of icing hides the mistake better. When it doesn't have the icing the misaligned star has a dark spot showing through.

yep, same here. I also crumbcoat before using the grass tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%