Do You Crumb Coat/frost Before Piping Stars?

Decorating By banananutmuffin Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 3:58am by jammjenks

banananutmuffin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:34am
post #1 of 6

If I am covering the entire cake in stars--like the 3D bear or a sports ball shaped like a caterpillar--should I crumb coat or frost the cake first? Or can I just pipe the stars directly on the cake?

5 replies
 DianeLM  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

Pipe directly onto the cake. No need to frost first.

If you're going to ice the sides smooth, be sure to do that first and overlap it a bit over the top so there's no gap between the sides and the top.

veejaytx  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:38am
post #3 of 6

I've done them both ways, but feel the stars stay on the cake better if I coat the cake with a simple syrup, or a very thin crumb coat.

Parable  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:40am
post #4 of 6

I like to crumb coat so none of the cake peeks through on those occasional stars that are not totally touching the others.

Win  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 2:47am
post #5 of 6

I'm with Parable. I put a light layer of icing on. A) I think it gives the stars something to adhere to, and 2) when I don't quite match them up, the layer of icing hides the mistake better. When it doesn't have the icing the misaligned star has a dark spot showing through.

jammjenks  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 3:58am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I'm with Parable. I put a light layer of icing on. A) I think it gives the stars something to adhere to, and 2) when I don't quite match them up, the layer of icing hides the mistake better. When it doesn't have the icing the misaligned star has a dark spot showing through.

yep, same here. I also crumbcoat before using the grass tip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%