Help!!! Baked The Cake Tonight!! Help!!!!

Decorating By rcsnickers2 Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 12:45am by SpoonfulofSugar

rcsnickers2 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 4

Last night I baked a red velvet cake! It did not rise. It is so very thin. I thought I would try another recipe tonight. This one says it fills 6 8" round cakes. My estimates then it should fill 2 9x13 pans. Wrong or okay? Well I baked them and they are thin as well. In fact, while cooling they pulled away from the sides of the pan now making it funky rectangle shape. Why?

I am not even sure they taste good. The ones I made tonight are floury tasting or just blah. The one I made last night is actually better but so thin I don't know what to do!

So I making this for a Christmas banquet tomorrow night and I am out of food coloring.

any tips and suggestions on how to salvage the cakes? How do you tell if it is a really good red velvet taste? I have not tasted a red velvet cake in a long time. Should it be sweet on the chocolate side of sweet on the vanilla cake side?

I would appreciate any help PLEASE!!!! any!!!!! I am about to cry from not knowing what to do!

oh yeah, should I have baked them in the round pans? Does that make a difference? Also, the top has air bubbles? Why and what should I do?

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:35am
post #2 of 4

W/o knowing your recipe it's hard to say what is going on.
Are you sure the oven is working properly?
A red valvet cake has a *very slight* chocolate taste. It should taste much like a vanilla/white cake w/a faint hint of chocolate.
The shape of the pan has little to do w/it. You can make red velvet cakes in any shape pan. The main thing is having enough batter in the pan; it should fill the pan 2/3rds of the way up the sides. As for airbubbles, did you drop the pan on the counter top a few times to bring them up to the top & break? You shouldicon_smile.gif

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:43am
post #3 of 4

can you post your recipe? i made a red velvet cake last weekend for a wedding should taste like chocolate cake but not real strong....sounds like you need more batter in your pans or maybe it baked too long

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:45am
post #4 of 4

I just noticed you said it didn't rise....did you use baking soda and viniger in the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%