Help!!! Baked The Cake Tonight!! Help!!!!

Decorating By rcsnickers2 Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 12:45am by SpoonfulofSugar

rcsnickers2  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcsnickers2 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 4

Last night I baked a red velvet cake! It did not rise. It is so very thin. I thought I would try another recipe tonight. This one says it fills 6 8" round cakes. My estimates then it should fill 2 9x13 pans. Wrong or okay? Well I baked them and they are thin as well. In fact, while cooling they pulled away from the sides of the pan now making it funky rectangle shape. Why?

I am not even sure they taste good. The ones I made tonight are floury tasting or just blah. The one I made last night is actually better but so thin I don't know what to do!

So I making this for a Christmas banquet tomorrow night and I am out of food coloring.

any tips and suggestions on how to salvage the cakes? How do you tell if it is a really good red velvet taste? I have not tasted a red velvet cake in a long time. Should it be sweet on the chocolate side of sweet on the vanilla cake side?

I would appreciate any help PLEASE!!!! any!!!!! I am about to cry from not knowing what to do!

oh yeah, should I have baked them in the round pans? Does that make a difference? Also, the top has air bubbles? Why and what should I do?

Thanks!!!!!

Letisha

3 replies
 kakeladi  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:35am
post #2 of 4

W/o knowing your recipe it's hard to say what is going on.
Are you sure the oven is working properly?
A red valvet cake has a *very slight* chocolate taste. It should taste much like a vanilla/white cake w/a faint hint of chocolate.
The shape of the pan has little to do w/it. You can make red velvet cakes in any shape pan. The main thing is having enough batter in the pan; it should fill the pan 2/3rds of the way up the sides. As for airbubbles, did you drop the pan on the counter top a few times to bring them up to the top & break? You shouldicon_smile.gif

SpoonfulofSugar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:43am
post #3 of 4

can you post your recipe? i made a red velvet cake last weekend for a wedding cake....it should taste like chocolate cake but not real strong....sounds like you need more batter in your pans or maybe it baked too long

SpoonfulofSugar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:45am
post #4 of 4

I just noticed you said it didn't rise....did you use baking soda and viniger in the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%