Does Anyone Use Box Cake Mix?

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 12:44pm by cakesbydina

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 5:53am
post #61 of 70

I use box mixes. I looked into doing recipes from scratch and they called for cake flour; I went to the store to buy it and it's expensive.

I use Pillsbury and I just really like the way it tastes and it's a reasonable price.

Plus, I really don't have the time to do scratch.

I haven't tried adding pudding to a box mix, I'll have to try it sometime.

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 6:20am
post #62 of 70

I must admit that I am a terrible food snob too and do not use boxed mixes icon_redface.gif

However, I don't expect anyone else to do so and don't think it's cheating. The only thing I would expect as a customer is to be told the truth *if* I ask. And I certainly agree that it is more expensive and would therefore be prepared to pay extra to a decorator if I specifically requested a scratch cake.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 18 Dec 2008 , 9:43pm
post #63 of 70

I use Betty Crocker and doctor each one. All I ever get are RAVES about my cakes - how wonderful they taste, how moist etc.

On each and every cake I make I doctor with

3 extra large or jumbo eggs
1 stick softened sweet butter
1/4 cup oil
1 1/4 cup buttermilk

so my cakes aren't cheap to make but it is worth it when I hear like I did a few weeks ago "we were told that YOU were the only one we should get for the wedding cake!"

Woo Hoo - I am probably the most expensive decorator in this area but I don't have a shortage of bookings and I believe it is because my cakes taste good!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 2:45am
post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

I only use box mixes and add flavoring to them. I was wondering what your responses are when someone asks you point blank if your cake is made from scratch or from a mix.

I tell them, "You couldn't afford me if I baked from scratch."

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:10am
post #65 of 70

Yummy cake is yummy cake, no matter how it's made!

My best friend makes delicious cakes from doctored mixes. I love it. Can I make one? Nope! I get within 2 feet of cake mix and the whole thing self destructs. Believe me, I've tried! icon_wink.gif

On the other hand, I bake from scratch because it's in my comfort zone. The afore mentioned friend just smiles and goes along with me! My point is that all bakers have their own comfort zone and know what the client/family enjoy.

Personally, I don't look down on box mixers nor look up at scratchers!

Gateau_pour_vous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gateau_pour_vous Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 3:15am
post #66 of 70

I use mix, but I've been doing a lot of special cakes lately (gluten, soy, casein free) and I'm not about to try doing a scratch one of those!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:01am
post #67 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by gateauxdamour

Personally, I don't look down on box mixers nor look up at scratchers!

thumbs_up.gif Beautifully put!

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 4:02am
post #68 of 70

So agree with indydebi. I just made a scratch cake to serve 30 for a family party which took 16 extra large organic eggs, 500g of fine bittersweet chocolate, 300g of cake flour, 400g superfine sugar, etc. And this is before we even get to the three layers of filling, the buttercream for the outside, the decorating and so on. So hearing things like "it's just a few dollars worth of ingredients" makes me mad.

The only way I would ever consider doing this for a living is if I were to open a high-end shop. Would go batty explaining the cost to everyone else. While I don't have a problem with people trying to stick to a tight budget I do have a problem with those wanting the Bentley for the price of a Toyota.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 19 Dec 2008 , 5:26am
post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekoli

While I don't have a problem with people trying to stick to a tight budget I do have a problem with those wanting the Bentley for the price of a Toyota.

AMEN!

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 26 Dec 2008 , 12:44pm
post #70 of 70

I thought I would have to make cakes from scratch if I went into business. I used a recipe from the book "confetti cakes" and it was just awful. It had no taste and wasn't rich and sweet like a box cake mix. I doctored my mixes using wilton's dream cake recipe and it was amazing. I had extracts and simple syrup to all my cakes and no one knows it's from a box. I would never sell a cake that tasted like crap so for me I would always use a box cake no matter what

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%