Does Anyone Use Box Cake Mix?

Decorating By THECAKEPLACE Updated 26 Dec 2008 , 12:44pm by cakesbydina

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 70

I am horrible in the kitchen actually the only thing i am good at it is decorating. i have tried many times to make homemade cake i failed each time. i use boxed cake ( i know i shouldent but i have no other choice) my question is does anyone else use oed cake mix? the ones i use are too moist and arae hard to work with. does any one have any advice?

69 replies
Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 70

I use boxed mixes all the time. I just doctor them up so they're more "scratch" than straight "boxed". Just search in the recipes and you'll find TONS of recipes starting with boxed cake mixes>

rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 70

Sure do. Check out the recipe for WASC (white almond sour cream). It can also be adapted for other flavors. HTH.

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 70

That's all I use. Sometimes I add stuff to the box mix but most of the time it's just the mix. And there are no rules that say you have to bake from scratch. I find most scratch cakes to be too heavy , but that's just me. Some people say the mixes have a "chemical" taste but I don't taste it. I get tons of compliments on the flavor and texture of my cakes. Go figure!

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 70

this is wonderfull news!!! i felt kinda bad selling cakes that were made from a box.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 70

*raises hand* I am a box mix only baker! like all the others I just add stuff to it to make it taste better.

box mix will be more moist. are you looking to firm your cake mix up? I usually add a box of pudding, an extra egg, and some flavoring depending on the flavor of the mix. if you like white chocolate I find just adding a box of white chocolate pudding makes it taste REALLY good! my customer thought it was a scratch cake...couldn't believe it was just pudding icon_wink.gif

Joolz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joolz Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:26pm
post #7 of 70

I use Betty Crocker or Ducan Hines with an instant pudding packet added. My cakes always turn out great. They do take about 10-15 minutes longer to bake because of the pudding but I just keep checking for the cake to spring back when I touch it and then I take them out. I use 1 1/2 boxes for the Wilton quarter sheet pan. I use a Pampered chef bowl to mix the mixes the first time so I know how many cups they make so I will have enough for the pan. Good luck to you! I love decorating to and I can bake but I prefer to put all of my energy into the decorating. icon_smile.gif

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:38pm
post #8 of 70

ME TOO!!!

I use box mixes myself.. The one time I tried to make a cake from "scratch" it was heavy and thick.. Not the best cake taste. Plus I am a full time worker on top of cake decorating and I don't have the time to bake everything from scratch..

I usually just use the box mix with nothing in them but I might try the pudding added to the mix.

Don't worry more people use mixes I would bet!!

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 70

I am definitley a fan of using the doctored box mix. Like others have said, just add some pudding and maybe replace part of the water with milk...especially good for cupcakes. The WASC recipe is wonderful for white chocolate cake!!!! I've had the best luck with Pillsbury. Duncan Hines tends to sink in the middle but is okay if you use cake flour.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by THECAKEPLACE

i use boxed cake ( i know i shouldent but i have no other choice)

Who said you shouldn't? Why do you think you shouldn't?

Surely you don't think that every food and baked good sold in a commercial establishment is made from scratch, do ya? If that was true, then Sysco and GFS would own big fields & farms, and not big warehouses, full of boxed mixes and frozen foods that are ready to go.

I've used boxed mixes for 30 years. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it.

mommakristin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakristin Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:58pm
post #11 of 70

If it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it. icon_lol.gif (says indydebi)

I second this!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:05am
post #12 of 70

I bake from boxes and from scratch. I don't have a problem with either. Some customers care others don't, I let them decide. Most customers choose the box cake over scratch. I love to bake from scratch but boxes make it so easy. I don't remember who said this (I know it was someone on here, maybe even Indydebi) "box mixes are just premeasured ingredients". Do what works for you, who cares what others think. As long as you think it is a good product and so do your customers that is what matters.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:21am
post #13 of 70

Box mixer here.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:23am
post #14 of 70

Can you see me franticly waving over here????

OF COUSE many of us use boxed mixes and make fabo cakes!!!!!icon_smile.gif
Learn how to bake a good boxed mix and you will hav e customers very, very happyicon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:24am
post #15 of 70

I've used box cakes professionally for almost 20 years and no one has mentioned it.

There are some recipes that I do that are scratch but I'd say 98% of what I do comes out of a box and some times I extend or doctor the recipe but most times it's just the box.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:25am
post #16 of 70

I am all from box as well - and I think many other people are but won't admit to it!

I also use an extender for all my cakes - and I have The Cake Mix Doctor book by Ann Byrn and it is wonderful. I always use her Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe for all my chocolate cakes.

I made a cake over the weekend and the lady wrote me and said this...

My mom just today brought it up again and said it
> was
> the best cake she has had in a long time. She said
> when she was a kid, her mom made cakes like
> that--before cake mixes were around. I had to
> remind
> her that there were no eggs in it--she was just so
> focused on the taste.
>
> Anyway, thank you SO much!! You have a repeat
> customer in me so hopefully you won't retire anytime
> soon from making cakes!!

If only she knew my secret of sour cream! Even so, this was an egg free cake since her daughter had an egg allergy. I used an egg substitute powder and it worked great.

So, cakes mixes can be just as good - even when they don't have eggs.
>

babybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybelle Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:31am
post #17 of 70

I, for the most part, use box mixes as well. I will add a box of pudding and if I want it a little denser and richer I will also add sour cream.
Totally moist and nothing but compliments.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:13am
post #18 of 70

pound cakes - scratch

chocolate - DH devil's food straight from box

everything else - doctored mixes

To each his own...

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:30am
post #19 of 70

I only use box mixes, but I always sift the mix first. I like the texture better. I just add almond extract to the white cake mixes (BC or Pillsbury), but if I need a lot of batter I use WASC. I've never tried the WASC with chocolate cake mix, but I'm sure it's awesome!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:30am
post #20 of 70

I only use box mixes, but I always sift the mix first. I like the texture better. I just add almond extract to the white cake mixes (BC or Pillsbury), but if I need a lot of batter I use WASC. I've never tried the WASC with chocolate cake mix, but I'm sure it's awesome!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:33am
post #21 of 70

I only use box mixes. When I try to put the time and effort into scratch baking, I just don't get the same results I do from a box. Cake is like a big log, or just falls apart.

Like KeltoKel, I use Cake Doctor Mix. I especially love the Darn Good Chocolate cake. And if you freeze it, it's PHENOMENAL. Tastes like a brownie. Yum.

I have the same thing with people at work not believing it's a box, and not believing that freezing it gives it that nice, dense, extra moist touch.

rrmom2boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rrmom2boys Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 4:41am
post #22 of 70

I use box mixes and usually put pudding and an extra egg. People love them. I tried to make scratch cakes and they never worked out for me. I finally was so frustrated I made a doctored cake for a family gathering and my SIL told me it was the best cake I ever made, so I stopped stressing and have used doctored mixes for the last few years. Still would like to find some scratch recipes I can get to work since some people do like the denser cake but I agree that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. icon_smile.gif

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:01am
post #23 of 70

I am mostly a scratch baker but occasionally my baking mojo leaves me and I have a cake that fails spectacularly - then out comes the box. The best thing about a box is that you can pretty much do whatever you want to it, and it still bakes up fine. And to be fair to box cakes, they have that certain something you cannot really replicate in scratch cake. And then I will get back on my scratch baking high horse for a while, until I have another failure and back to the box I go.

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 5:03am
post #24 of 70

I only use box mixes, I tried a bananna cake one time and it was AWFUL!! My family always says, as long as you are not making banana cake we would like you to make the cake!!! It's a running joke. I also add a box of french vanilla pudding to every flavor cake I make and replace half the water with milk. Good luck and don't feel bad fro using a box!!

Cruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cruz Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 6:08am
post #25 of 70

I bake from both scratch and box mixes. No one should feel bad about using mixes because you're providing what keeps your clients coming back----A side from the kick-butt decorated cakes you provide.

Also, remember scratch or box our client's are paying for the pretty and wow effect of the cake. The great taste is just a bonus. Just thought I'd throw that out there because I'm sure there are people out there that believe a discount is in order for a box cake.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:26pm
post #26 of 70

My thoughts are that a box mix has all the same ingredients as a scratch cake, it's just pre-measured for me.. icon_smile.gif For me, It's all about the box.. lol

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:44pm
post #27 of 70

I cracked the egg and stirred it in...isnt that scratch!!!? I never share my recipes with my clients or my family...its MY rule what they don't know wont hurt them! They are very happy and keep coming back over and over....Thank you Duncan Hines, I woulnt have the business I do with out you! lol

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:47pm
post #28 of 70

Phhhewww...... I didn't realize there were so many box bakers out there!! Makes me feel a whole lot better!! Everyone always compliments my cakes on taste and moistness that I've just kept going on the 'box kick!' I had someone actually ask for "my" chocolate recipe before and I told them it was my Grandma's SECRET family recipe!! icon_lol.gif
~ Jaime

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 4:51pm
post #29 of 70

ummm....Box mix baker here! Im really glad to hear there are so many of you! Most of mine are doctored mixes but some are just boxed mix. thank you Duncan Hines!!! icon_smile.gif

Galler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galler Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 5:02pm
post #30 of 70

I use box mixes all the time, although I add stuff to it. Unfortunately I am not a baker...more of a decorator so every time I have tried to make cake from scratch they don't turn out to well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%