Anyone Use Mineral Oil On Their Wooden Cake Boards?

Decorating By Edibleart Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 1:26am by indydebi

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to find a way to keep the wooden cake boards looking nice even after they have gotten grease stains from the frosting. I know that they are covered by the foil but I don't care for how they look when they are returned and have grease spots on them! Since you can use mineral oil on cutting boards, I was wondering if that would work for cake boards?!?!?!? Anyone try this or think it would work?

TIA

3 replies
THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 4

i would guesse that it would work, test it out buy a small peice of wood put oil on it then take a glob of icing and put it on the wood. see what happens. if you dont like regular foil walmart and most cake supplie stores have decorative foil it looks alot etter than regular!

Edibleart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edibleart Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:17am
post #3 of 4

I don't think I'm doing a very good job of explaining myself - sorry! I will still use foil to cover the board anytime there is a cake on it, but the customer usually takes the foil off and in the process some of the bc comes in contact with the board leaving a not-so-lovely grease stain! I was hoping by using the mineral oil that it would all look the same whether any stray icing came into contact with it or not. I was hoping someone had tried it. I thought maybe it was something obviously done that I have been missing! I have also used contact paper over the bare wood under the foil just to avoid the stains but that gets knicked and cut so I was looking for a better solution! I may just have to go the store and pick up some mineral oil!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 1:26am
post #4 of 4

I'm not sure why it's a big concern, if you're covering the board anyway. icon_confused.gif Yes, the customer might see the naked board when they remove the foil, but so what? Some of my boards are just plain plywood-type boards and once the foil is removed, they look like plain plywood. Not pretty .... just plywood. No biggie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%