Tappit Cutters

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 10:29am by chicapastel

Cathy26  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 6

I bought the Fmm tappit alphabet cutters but when i use them either my icing sticks in them or i dont get a nice clean edge. what am i doing wrong. should i use strong gumpaste? is my gumpaste too sticky or thick? should i roll out the gumpaste and let it sit for a while to dry out before cutting?

also, does everyone make their own gumpaste by mixing sugarpaste with CMC or gum tragacanth?

Thanks

Cathy

5 replies
 PennySue  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Cathy,
I use the tappits and had a problem also until I started rolling my gumpaste with a pasta roller. I got an inexpensive one at Michael's and now it is soooo much easier to cut them. I also dust the cutters with cornstarch and when it comes time to "tap" them out, I actually snap them against the edge of my work table. They come out really easy that way. Hope this helps!
Penny

Susie53  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 6

Cathy24, check Edna's you tube video out...

phoufer  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 6

Try looking on YouTube. tonedna1 has a great tutorial on how to make letters using the tappits.

Cathy26  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:23am
post #5 of 6

Edna's tutorial was great! will definitly try the shortening tip. we dont have cristco but trex is a good alternative.

what do you guys use as gumpaste? mine always seems too sticky. maybe im not making it strong enough? ive been mixing the fondant i use (sugar, glucose, glycerine and gelatine) with CMC and leaving it for 24 hours. is this a good recipe?

PS just solved another mystery i had - i had wondered how people made that lovely font - i thought they cut them out but hand and we soooo talented and now i know its the Funky Font Cutters - they are on their way from ebay as i speak - lol more money icon_rolleyes.gif

chicapastel  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicapastel Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 10:29am
post #6 of 6

Edna's tutorial was easy to follow, thanks for the information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%