Tappit Cutters

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 10:29am by chicapastel

Cathy26 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 6

I bought the Fmm tappit alphabet cutters but when i use them either my icing sticks in them or i dont get a nice clean edge. what am i doing wrong. should i use strong gumpaste? is my gumpaste too sticky or thick? should i roll out the gumpaste and let it sit for a while to dry out before cutting?

also, does everyone make their own gumpaste by mixing sugarpaste with CMC or gum tragacanth?

5 replies
PennySue Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Cathy,
I use the tappits and had a problem also until I started rolling my gumpaste with a pasta roller. I got an inexpensive one at Michael's and now it is soooo much easier to cut them. I also dust the cutters with cornstarch and when it comes time to "tap" them out, I actually snap them against the edge of my work table. They come out really easy that way. Hope this helps!

Susie53 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 6

Cathy24, check Edna's you tube video out...

phoufer Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 6

Try looking on YouTube. tonedna1 has a great tutorial on how to make letters using the tappits.

Cathy26 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 9:23am
post #5 of 6

Edna's tutorial was great! will definitly try the shortening tip. we dont have cristco but trex is a good alternative.

what do you guys use as gumpaste? mine always seems too sticky. maybe im not making it strong enough? ive been mixing the fondant i use (sugar, glucose, glycerine and gelatine) with CMC and leaving it for 24 hours. is this a good recipe?

PS just solved another mystery i had - i had wondered how people made that lovely font - i thought they cut them out but hand and we soooo talented and now i know its the Funky Font Cutters - they are on their way from ebay as i speak - lol more money icon_rolleyes.gif

chicapastel Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 10:29am
post #6 of 6

Edna's tutorial was easy to follow, thanks for the information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%