Really Dumb Question From Newbie...

Decorating By banananutmuffin Updated 13 Dec 2008 , 12:38am by SpoonfulofSugar

banananutmuffin Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 11

Ok... I know this has got to be the world's dumbest question... but here it goes:

If I am making a sheet cake for a birthday party, is it just one layer? Or are sheet cakes layered, too, so that there's one layer stacked on top another?

Thanks!

10 replies
idgalpal Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 11

You could layer it if you want to, or you could tort it and make a filling for it.
Torte just means to split it horizontally and fill it.

tiggy2 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 11

It can be either depending on size and how many servings you need.

CakeWhizz Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 11

Hi there,
I don't know if I can help as I don't tend to make sheet cakes but you can do both in my opinion. Just be careful when you split a single layer cake though. A good trick is to freeze the cake for a bit to firm it up and then cut it in half and slide the top half onto a large cookie sheet. Add the filling to the bottom half and slide the top half on again. Good luck and I hope someone else can help you.

idgalpal Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 11

I'll only split a 1/4 or a 1/2 sheet cake, and I chill it a little before I cut it. I don't think I'd try that with a full sheet cake.

homemaluhia Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 11

I usually make it two layers. Especially when there is a regular round tiered cake and the sheet is for additional servings. That way it looks like the displayed cake.

HTH

bakesweet06 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 11

like idgalpapl I usually split the 1.4 & 1/2 sheet, I've done double full sheet but only if specificallu requested by customer. If you double it make sure you charge for the extra layer icon_biggrin.gif . Most places cakes stores, costco, walmart etc sell single layers only, so most customers expect the single layer.

Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:17am
post #8 of 11

I torte and fill full sheets all the time. I cut it into 3 sections and torte and fill each one separately.

Once it's frosted no one ever knows.

thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:25am
post #9 of 11

ANother factor could be what is 'normal' for your part of the country. Around here, if someone orders a sheet cake, they expect to get a single layer rectangle cake with no filling, covered in icing.

tdybear1978 Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:35am
post #10 of 11

yeah, my sheet cakes are all one layer unless the customer specifically askes for it to be a double layer

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 13 Dec 2008 , 12:38am
post #11 of 11

I don't torte mine...but I do use 2 layers...I really like the way it looks & it's more icing in every bite! i think i have some pics in my gallery of 2 layer sheet cakes to give you an idea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%