Substituting Eggnog

Baking By kay52178 Updated 16 Dec 2008 , 2:59pm by kay52178

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 5

I have a very good cinamon cookie recipe. The cookies are very soft, almost the texture of pancakes. One of the ingredients is buttermilk. Could I substitute eggnog for buttermilk? Anyone know what would happen? I'd love the taste of this receipe with eggnog flavor but I don't know what it would do to the texture of the cookie.

Thanks!

4 replies
suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know but it sounds yummy. I'd love to have the recipe!!!! I love cinnamon anything.

kay52178 Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 5

I don't have the recipe here with me at work but I'll try to remember to bring it with me Monday and post it in here. I probably won't get to try substituting the eggnog until next weekend b/c I don't have any but I will also post my results!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 5

I guess it depends on what the quantity is.... but buttermilk is very different from egg nog chemically even tho they are similar consistency. Buttermilk is going to react with you leavening where egg nog is not. Don't know whats REALLY in commercial egg nog, but homemade stuff is full of eggs which will alter the cookie. Why nto just use the buttermilk and add a little nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon to mimic egg nog?

kay52178 Posted 16 Dec 2008 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 5

It worked. They came out really good! They have a very strong eggnog flavor so you need to like eggnog to appreciate them. Thanks for the tips and well wishesicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%