Please Help Me! My Gumpaste Cut Out Won't Dry

Decorating By KristinAnn Updated 12 Dec 2008 , 7:37pm by KristinAnn

KristinAnn Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 5

I have a cake to deliver this afternoon. The topper is a flat piece of gumpaste cut with a bicycle cookie cutter and handpainted with a bike design. I let it dry overnight, but it's still soft. I thought gumpaste dried faster than fondant? Is there anyway I can hasten the drying process?

Thanks
Kristin

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 5

You can apply heat very very very carefully gently.
You need to apply dry heat--as in put it in the oven but under 125 degrees--but it could melt or warp too.

Very very very gentle dry heat.

See my gum paste would dry overnight--so I'm concerned that yours is obviously a different type of mixture so proceed with caution.

Maybe just lay it flat--build up the cake top so it slants and your work can be seen without causing you a coronary.

I like the last idea best.

I'm guessing you only made one? Save your blood pressure.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 5

But if I was making a topper I would allow days and days for it to dry even though it would be real dry in one overnight.

stephaniescakenj Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 5

Put it in the oven with the light on, no heat, you'd be surprised by how hot those light bulbs are in there... that should help it dry quicker... I put a plaque in about 2 hours ago and it's already hardening up...

KristinAnn Posted 12 Dec 2008 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 5

I did try putting it in the oven with the light on, but it didn't seem to harden up at all. Maybe I didn't wait long enough. So I tried turning the oven on really low. Unfortunately, it got softer! So I took it out right away and just let it sit on the counter. icon_cry.gif

I meant to do this earlier in the week, but the week got away from me and I never got to it. This will teach me!

I think it's hard enough though to make work. I got two lollipop sticks attached to the back, so I hope it will be stable enough. I'm off to deliver it now, so I guess we'll see.

Thanks,
Kristin

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%